Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy Paste problem

I have received a workbook from a colleague and require to copy cells from it
into another workbook. I got the "copy and paste areas differ" message but I
had selected a single destination cell. I have even tried to copy one cell,
not a merged one, into the other workbook to no avail.
I can paste the copied data into other cells in the same workbook. If I open
two copies of excel and put one workbook in each I have no problem. There are
no macros in either workbook just colour formatting. The cells contain values
not formulae. If I open a new workbook and try to paste to that the problem
remains. This workbook I have received and want to copy from seems to have
some strange characteristic.

We have tried it on two totally different PCs - no difference. I am using
Excel 2003 SP3 on WIndows XP Professional.

Anyone any ideas?
Thanks Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Sounds like you've analyzed it pretty well.........I have no clue what could
be wrong.

But for expediency,
"Ian_Add" wrote:
If I open two copies of excel and put one workbook in each I have no

problem.

I would just do that to the entire workbook and SaveAs a new filename and
check it........if the problem is gone, do as you will with the old file.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately we are not in control of the offending workbook which is
updated monthly and sent out. I expect that we can get them to fix it if we
can describe the solution.

"Ian_Add" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

"Ian_Add" wrote:

I expect that we can get them to fix it if we
can describe the solution.

Well, if you can't, I would just do as I suggested and use THAT one as your
working copy each month. It could be set up with macros and done
automatically.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3