Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default address1, address2, city, state, zip in one cell; need in 5 cells

I have imported a spreadsheet in which address1, address2, city, state and
zip are all in one cell. Is it possible to use a formula, formulas or
processes to relatively easily place the data into separate cells? It's over
20,000 lines of data and we need it in separate columns to upload into our
sales database.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

The Data TextToColumns feature can effectively separate the strings for you.

Give it a try, and post back if you have trouble.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"puddgyballerina" wrote:

I have imported a spreadsheet in which address1, address2, city, state and
zip are all in one cell. Is it possible to use a formula, formulas or
processes to relatively easily place the data into separate cells? It's over
20,000 lines of data and we need it in separate columns to upload into our
sales database.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If all of the fields were separated by a single comma (i.e. "123 Main
St,Lenexa,KS,66215"), you could highlight your data and run this
macro. Keep in mind that this is not reversible.

Sub Delimit_By_Comma()
With Selection
.TextToColumns Destination:=Selection, DataType:=xlDelimited,
_
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False,
Tab:=True, _
Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False,
FieldInfo _
:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1),
Array(5, 1), Array(6, 1), _
Array(7, 1), Array(8, 1))
End With
End Sub

HTH,
JP

On Jan 8, 2:57*pm, puddgyballerina
wrote:
I have imported a spreadsheet in which address1, address2, city, state and
zip are all in one cell. *Is it possible to use a formula, formulas or
processes to relatively easily place the data into separate cells? *It's over
20,000 lines of data and we need it in separate columns to upload into our
sales database.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In Excel 2003 and prior you can use Data/Text to Columns. In Excel 2007,
Data/Data Tools/Text to Columns.

Tyro

"puddgyballerina" wrote in
message ...