whs2002

Default city, state, zip in same cell

I ha ve been given a large data base with city, state and zip in same cell.
How can I seperate the city, state and zip without doing it manually?
Brent E

Good afternoon, u may want to try this.

First insert a few columns right after the column that contains the city
state, etc. info. Then click on the column letter to highlight the column
that contains the city, state, etc. data u would like to split into cells,
then goto DATA menu toward the top of your screen and click on TEXT TO
COLUMNS. A box will pop up, make sure DELIMITED button is on and click NEXT,
Then put a check in boxes by COMMA and SPACE (This tellsExcel to move data to
next cell any time a comma or space is found) and click NEXT, and click NEXT
again and the data should be placed into different columns. But be cautious,
the reason u must insert columns before doing this is because the data will
overwrite the columns next to it as far as their is data to split apart. For
instance if splitting only city and state, 2 columns will be overwritten, If
splitting street #, street name, city, and state, then 4 columns will be
overwritten so u must insert as many columns as data to split, or else u may
overwrite data in cells next to your address cells. Let me know if any
questions.
"whs2002" wrote:

I ha ve been given a large data base with city, state and zip in same cell.
How can I seperate the city, state and zip without doing it manually?

Karl Burrows

Homework?