Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default The NOW() syntax

I'm trying to create a spread sheet that I will be using to record data that
I collect in the field and I need to be able to populate multiple cells with
the current time. What I'm doing is timing the absorption of water into soil
in 1 inch increments for 2 inches. So I need a start time, a middle time
(after 1 inch drop) and an end time (2nd inch). I know that =NOW() will
populate the cell but when I do that command for multiple cells they all
become the same time. I need the "now" time to remain the original "now"
when I "click" into the next cell. Does this make sence to anyone? Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use the following code in a standard module - Have also placed a Forms-type
command button on my sheet to Run the Macro. Perhaps it can help you.

Sub DateTimeStamp()
T = Now()
With ActiveCell
.Value = T
.NumberFormat = "m/d/yy h:mm AM/PM;@"
.Columns.AutoFit
End With
End Sub

Jim May

"Tom" wrote:

I'm trying to create a spread sheet that I will be using to record data that
I collect in the field and I need to be able to populate multiple cells with
the current time. What I'm doing is timing the absorption of water into soil
in 1 inch increments for 2 inches. So I need a start time, a middle time
(after 1 inch drop) and an end time (2nd inch). I know that =NOW() will
populate the cell but when I do that command for multiple cells they all
become the same time. I need the "now" time to remain the original "now"
when I "click" into the next cell. Does this make sence to anyone? Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike wrote on Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:47:00 -0800:

MR You can use "ctrl ;" for the date, and "ctrl :" for the
MR time and they are static.

MR Mike Rogers

MR "Tom" wrote:

?? I'm trying to create a spread sheet that I will be using
?? to record data that I collect in the field and I need to

Thanks, it was useful to be reminded of those shortcuts even if
I was not the OP. I might mention that there is a good list at

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: