Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding the names that are not there

This should be interesting.
I have a list of names, about 300, in a worksheet that I use for a dropdown
list
in all other sheets ( call Jan, Feb, March...).
As I get a call from each person every month I dropdown my list and select
that
name from my list and write " called ".
Each month I have to find out who did not call based on checking who called
of course. Is there a way CF,VLOOKUP,FORMULA to highligth, color or bold the
people that did not call for that month? ( either in the list of names
"thelist" or
in different place where I can see who did not call on each monthly basis.
--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''t even know, I don''''t
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is not possible using CF,VLOOKUP, or any other formula because they are
all transient and will chage when you change the selection form the
dropdown,

As I get a call from each person every month I dropdown my list and select
that
name from my list and write " called ".

Where do you write "Called"? Doe that not give you a record of people who
have called. If not then I would think that you would need a VBA solution
using a Worksheet_Change event Macro

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Learning Excel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can only guess at several things here, but here's an approach...
With your Worksheet containing your list of names (MyNameList)
create a new Column header CalledThisMonth?

Then write a macro to Loop thru all your sheets and If it finds in the
cell (say A1) "Called" (without the quotes) write place "Yes" in the
appropriate row CustomerName = SheetName, Column Called?

Blamk A1's should result in Blanks in your MyNameList.

HTH

"Learning Excel" wrote:

This should be interesting.
I have a list of names, about 300, in a worksheet that I use for a dropdown
list
in all other sheets ( call Jan, Feb, March...).
As I get a call from each person every month I dropdown my list and select
that
name from my list and write " called ".
Each month I have to find out who did not call based on checking who called
of course. Is there a way CF,VLOOKUP,FORMULA to highligth, color or bold the
people that did not call for that month? ( either in the list of names
"thelist" or
in different place where I can see who did not call on each monthly basis.
--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''t even know, I don''''t
know nothing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your guess is wonderfull and very appropriate for my case but like my name
says it all : Learning Excell.
1- I'd like to do it without using macros and
2- If macro is the only way, then , can I have an example related to this
exactly situation and I will adjust the range...or change some things as
needed.
Actually when it comes to macros, my name change to "cluless".
THANKS Jim May and Sandy Mann for your help.
--

"Learning Excel" wrote:

This should be interesting.
I have a list of names, about 300, in a worksheet that I use for a dropdown
list
in all other sheets ( call Jan, Feb, March...).
As I get a call from each person every month I dropdown my list and select
that
name from my list and write " called ".
Each month I have to find out who did not call based on checking who called
of course. Is there a way CF,VLOOKUP,FORMULA to highligth, color or bold the
people that did not call for that month? ( either in the list of names
"thelist" or
in different place where I can see who did not call on each monthly basis.
--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''t even know, I don''''t
know nothing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With a list of all the names in B4:B304 and the results of the dropdowns in
A4:A104, enter in C4:

=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(B4,$A$4:$A$104))=0,"No Call","")

This is an array formula and so must be entered with Crtl + Shift presses
while you press Enter

It will mark all names that did not call.