Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default finding the common names between columns

good day All

I have recentlyexctracted a list of users names from AD to compare it
to another list that got extracted from SAP.
now I have a list of users that might not be on the next list.
How I have it placed is like so..
One coulumn has a list of first names and the other the last name..
Now since I have two sets of name I have four coulmns with fisrt names
and last names..
what I would like to do is find out the names that appear in the first
two coulumns that does not appear in the next two coulmns on another
column or sheet..
the basic idea is just to find out the ones that are not common..
I have been reading around in the sites and and I have not really
found out what I am loking for.
so this is the run down of what I am doing.. I am not that good in
excel so would someone please help me on this

Thank You in advance to all..
Seelan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

The first step is to convert each name-set from two columns into one column.

Say the fist name is in column A and the second name is in column B. In C1
enter:
=A1 & B1 and copy down
If A1 contained James and B1 contained Winslow then C1 would show
JamesWinslow.

Copy the second name-set to columns D and E with the combined name in column
F using the same technique.

Now to compare cols C and F:

Select cell C1 and pull-down Format Conditional Formatting... from there
select Formula is and enter

=(COUNTIF(F$1:F$65536,C2)=0) and pick a nice hi-light background
Next copy C1 and paste/special as format down the column.

You should see Hi-lighted in C those items not appearing in column F.

Now repeat this formatting in column F, starting with cell F1 and using the
formula:
=(COUNTIF(C$1:C$65536,F1)=0)
--
Gary''s Student

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Alot..

This is a good lesson I have learnt today.. it worked just great..

thanks
Alot