Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default WYSI(N)WYG? Courier New TT not displayed below 80% View

I am using Courier New font because I want a non-proportional font.
Courier New is a True Type font. It works fine for View scaling
percentages down to 80%. But below 80%, Excel reverts to displaying a
Courier New.)

Is there any way that I can work around this? Is there a different
non-proportional font that I can use that avoids this limitation?

I want to be able to set the View scaling percentage to as low as
60%. But I want a non-proportional font so that all interstitial
characters line up (not just a decimal point, for exampe). I thought
that was the point of True Type fonts: they are scalable.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This post by Debra Dalgleish will help:

You can change a registry setting to prevent this from happening (make a
backup copy of the registry first):

1. From the Start button, choose Run
2. Type regedit then click OK
3. Click the + sign to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER
4. Open Software, Microsoft, Office, 9.0, Excel, Options
5. Choose EditNewDWORD Value
6. Type the name for the DWORD: FontSub
7. Press Enter to complete the renaming
8. Choose EditModify
9. Type 0 as the value, select Decimal, and click OK
10. Close the Registry Editor

============
9.0 (in step 4) will have to match the version of excel that you're using.

2003 = Version 11
2002 = version 10
2000 = version 9

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Dec 4, 11:47 am, Dave Peterson wrote:
This post by Debra Dalgleish will help:
You can change a registry setting to prevent this from happening
(make a backup copy of the registry first):

Thanks. I will keep this for future reference. But I am relunctant
to change a Registry setting without knowing all the ramifications of
the change.

I think KB 829389 answers most of my questions. But I need to chew on
it for a while.

Thanks again.

PS: Another reasons for my relunctance is that I have never backed up
and restored the Registry. The Help information that I found did not
answer all my questions. I can continue to poke around for
information. But if some kind soul would like to offer a step-by-step
procedure for both back-up and restore, I would appreciate it.
Alternatively, I would be happy with a pointer to a concise procedure
"for dummies".
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ps. I could also double click on a .reg file and it'll update the registry. So
you want to be careful with those files, too.

Dave Peterson wrote:

I do this in Windows XP (Home):

Windows start button
Run
type: Regedit
(and hit enter)
File|Export
Check the "All" button (don't use the Selected Branch)

Save the .reg file with a nice name and in a nice location.

Becareful when you're making changes in the registry. There's no "are you sure"
prompts.

And you'd use File|import to import the registry.