Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Precise Printing

Hi,

If I create a rectangle shape with a width of 10 * 72 / 25.4 and then print
it and measure the width with digital calipers, the actual width is 10.27 mm
not 10 mm.

Can anyone tell me why please and how to print a rectangle of 10 mm width?

I actually want to get the precision down to under 1/2 mm.

TIA
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With a CAD program?
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"LIsa" wrote:

Hi,

If I create a rectangle shape with a width of 10 * 72 / 25.4 and then
print
it and measure the width with digital calipers, the actual width is 10.27
mm
not 10 mm.

Can anyone tell me why please and how to print a rectangle of 10 mm
width?

I actually want to get the precision down to under 1/2 mm.

TIA
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Somewhere in all the stuff I have read about Excel, I seem to remember that
it is not a precision measurement system. It is a number crunching
spreadsheet with some additional capabilities and features, one of which is
not CAD/CAM. For precision printing you will require special software with
matching hardware. The printer itself must be calibrated to the CPU
interface. Even if you had been lucky enough to get a precise measurement
using they standard Excel software and local printer, the very first time you
try to use it anywhere else would be a failure.

"LIsa" wrote:

Hi,

If I create a rectangle shape with a width of 10 * 72 / 25.4 and then print
it and measure the width with digital calipers, the actual width is 10.27 mm
not 10 mm.

Can anyone tell me why please and how to print a rectangle of 10 mm width?

I actually want to get the precision down to under 1/2 mm.

TIA
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've tried to print precisely with Excel, and it can't be done. You can get
pretty close with a specific version of Excel and a specific printer. But as
soon as you change either one, the precision is lost.

You need a CAD program.

Fred