Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Drop Down - Repost

I have Excel 2007 - I have created a drop down list in column "I" the drop
down boxes are in column C - Although my list (col I) is sorted A - Z my
drop down box opens with the list showing Z - A. I want it to open with A -
Z. What am I missing? I have searched "help" with no results.

Bob M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you don't get a response to a post consider clarifying it. With
precise "steps to reproduce" ideally. Start with what kind of drop down you
have. There are at least 3 kinds in Excel.

--
Jim
"robert morris" wrote in message
|I have Excel 2007 - I have created a drop down list in column "I" the drop
| down boxes are in column C - Although my list (col I) is sorted A - Z my
| drop down box opens with the list showing Z - A. I want it to open with
A -
| Z. What am I missing? I have searched "help" with no results.
|
| Bob M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I have a column where I have entered a drop down list
(column C) through Data Validation from another (Master) list. This "master"
list will have names entered occassion which I sort A to Z. All works well
except when I open the drop down box in Column C to choose a name, the list
of names in the box opens at the bottom of the list. As few names start with
x,y,z, I have to scroll the box to the top. First name Andrews (sample)

Is this a little clearer?

Bob M.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

When you don't get a response to a post consider clarifying it. With
precise "steps to reproduce" ideally. Start with what kind of drop down you
have. There are at least 3 kinds in Excel.

--
Jim
"robert morris" wrote in message
|I have Excel 2007 - I have created a drop down list in column "I" the drop
| down boxes are in column C - Although my list (col I) is sorted A - Z my
| drop down box opens with the list showing Z - A. I want it to open with
A -
| Z. What am I missing? I have searched "help" with no results.
|
| Bob M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry to be so slow getting back. I still don't see the problem but you
didn't really give me the precise steps to repro. Let me give you my steps
and you can tell me what I did wrong.

-Filled a-z in the range F1:F26
-In C1 created a Data Validation, List referencing F1:F26.
-Clicked the drop down arrow in C1 selected first item "A".
-"A" appeared in C1.
-Clicked arrow again and current item "A" was selected.
-Selected "Y" from list and "Y" appeared in C1.
-Clicked arrow again and the current selection "Y" was selected in drop
down.

All that seems as it should be so let me know what your scenario is.

--
Jim
"robert morris" wrote in message
| Jim,
|
| Thanks for the info. I have a column where I have entered a drop down
list
| (column C) through Data Validation from another (Master) list. This
"master"
| list will have names entered occassion which I sort A to Z. All works
well
| except when I open the drop down box in Column C to choose a name, the
list
| of names in the box opens at the bottom of the list. As few names start
with
| x,y,z, I have to scroll the box to the top. First name Andrews (sample)
|
| Is this a little clearer?
|
| Bob M.
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| When you don't get a response to a post consider clarifying it. With
| precise "steps to reproduce" ideally. Start with what kind of drop down
you
| have. There are at least 3 kinds in Excel.
|
| --
| Jim
| "robert morris" wrote in
message
| |I have Excel 2007 - I have created a drop down list in column "I" the
drop
| | down boxes are in column C - Although my list (col I) is sorted A -
Z my
| | drop down box opens with the list showing Z - A. I want it to open
with
| A -
| | Z. What am I missing? I have searched "help" with no results.
| |
| | Bob M.
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

Thanks so much!

I have marked each step of your analysis as Yes (correct) or explained my
question.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Sorry to be so slow getting back. I still don't see the problem but you
didn't really give me the precise steps to repro. Let me give you my steps
and you can tell me what I did wrong.

-Filled a-z in the range F1:F26

Yes

-In C1 created a Data Validation, List referencing F1:F26.

Yes

-Clicked the drop down arrow in C1 selected first item "A".

No, when I click on the button in a blank cell in C1 it opens with the last
entry in Column F "Z" instead of the first name in the Column F list "A". I
therefore must scroll up to get to "A" in the list. Column F is sorted A to
Z. The drop down box only displays eight (8) names.

-"A" appeared in C1.

-Clicked arrow again and current item "A" was selected.
-Selected "Y" from list and "Y" appeared in C1.
-Clicked arrow again and the current selection "Y" was selected in drop
down.

All that seems as it should be so let me know what your scenario is.

Other than what I have described, it works perfectly. It is just an extra
step to have to "scroll" back to the top. My list in Column F is forty (40)
names so "A" does not appear in the box.
I really appreciate your time on this.

Bob M.

--
Jim
"robert morris" wrote in message
| Jim,
|
| Thanks for the info. I have a column where I have entered a drop down
list
| (column C) through Data Validation from another (Master) list. This
"master"
| list will have names entered occassion which I sort A to Z. All works
well
| except when I open the drop down box in Column C to choose a name, the
list
| of names in the box opens at the bottom of the list. As few names start
with
| x,y,z, I have to scroll the box to the top. First name Andrews (sample)
|
| Is this a little clearer?
|
| Bob M.
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| When you don't get a response to a post consider clarifying it. With
| precise "steps to reproduce" ideally. Start with what kind of drop down
you
| have. There are at least 3 kinds in Excel.
|
| --
| Jim
| "robert morris" wrote in
message
| |I have Excel 2007 - I have created a drop down list in column "I" the
drop
| | down boxes are in column C - Although my list (col I) is sorted A -
Z my
| | drop down box opens with the list showing Z - A. I want it to open
with
| A -
| | Z. What am I missing? I have searched "help" with no results.
| |
| | Bob M.
| |