Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Nick

Default REPOST: Which Function to Use

Hello,

I am running Excel 2003. Im trying to accomplish a lookup.

On sheet 1, in column A, I have values such as: A, B, C, D. These values
repeat themselves. A small example:

a date place
b date place
b date place
a date place
c date place

On my second sheet, we'll call it the "a" sheet, I want this sheet to
basically list only the cells that had "a" in column A from sheet 1. So I
would want to see on this sheet (using above example)

a date place
a date place

I've tried using VLOOKUP, but am getting strange results. I think it's
because the values repeat themelves ..but Im not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

Assume this table is on Sheet1 in the range A1:C5

a date place
b date place
b date place
a date place
c date place

Enter this formula as an array using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER
into SheetA cell A1:

=IF(ROWS($1:1)<=COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5,"a"),INDE X(Sheet1!A$1:A$5,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5="a",ROW (Sheet1!A$1:A$5)-ROW(Sheet1!A$1)+1),ROWS($1:1))),"")

Copy across to C1 then down until you get blanks.

Note: if you have 1000's of possible returns this may not be very efficient.

Biff

"Nick" wrote in message
Hello,

I am running Excel 2003. Im trying to accomplish a lookup.

On sheet 1, in column A, I have values such as: A, B, C, D. These values
repeat themselves. A small example:

a date place
b date place
b date place
a date place
c date place

On my second sheet, we'll call it the "a" sheet, I want this sheet to
basically list only the cells that had "a" in column A from sheet 1. So I
would want to see on this sheet (using above example)

a date place
a date place

I've tried using VLOOKUP, but am getting strange results. I think it's
because the values repeat themelves ..but Im not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

P.S.

You'll probably have to format the date cells as DATE.

Biff

"Nick" wrote in message
Hello,

I am running Excel 2003. Im trying to accomplish a lookup.

On sheet 1, in column A, I have values such as: A, B, C, D. These values
repeat themselves. A small example:

a date place
b date place
b date place
a date place
c date place

On my second sheet, we'll call it the "a" sheet, I want this sheet to
basically list only the cells that had "a" in column A from sheet 1. So
would want to see on this sheet (using above example)

a date place
a date place

I've tried using VLOOKUP, but am getting strange results. I think it's
because the values repeat themelves ..but Im not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Nick

Thanks Biff..I'll give it a try!

"Nick" wrote in message
Hello,

I am running Excel 2003. Im trying to accomplish a lookup.

On sheet 1, in column A, I have values such as: A, B, C, D. These values
repeat themselves. A small example:

a date place
b date place
b date place
a date place
c date place

On my second sheet, we'll call it the "a" sheet, I want this sheet to
basically list only the cells that had "a" in column A from sheet 1. So
would want to see on this sheet (using above example)

a date place
a date place

I've tried using VLOOKUP, but am getting strange results. I think it's
because the values repeat themelves ..but Im not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM