Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Find External Links

I have a spreadsheet someone else created. Upon opening, it asks what I wish
to do about external references. Here is what I want to do: I want to find
them. I can go to edit links and see that there are links, but how can I
find the cells that contain the links? Then I can make intelligent decisions
about what to do about them. Thanks....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may have to go through every formula in the workbook to find
links.

Hit Ctrl-G, choose 'Special' and select 'Formulas'.

Then just hit Enter to cycle through all the formulas until you find
it.

HTH,
JP

On Nov 13, 11:27 am, Mike H. wrote:
I have a spreadsheet someone else created. Upon opening, it asks what I wish
to do about external references. Here is what I want to do: I want to find
them. I can go to edit links and see that there are links, but how can I
find the cells that contain the links? Then I can make intelligent decisions
about what to do about them. Thanks....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a great tool for finding links call FindLinks.zip

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mike H." wrote:

I have a spreadsheet someone else created. Upon opening, it asks what I wish
to do about external references. Here is what I want to do: I want to find
them. I can go to edit links and see that there are links, but how can I
find the cells that contain the links? Then I can make intelligent decisions
about what to do about them. Thanks....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good point, you could just Ctrl-F and search for "xls" it jumps right
to the link (assuming it's an XL file).

Thx,
JP

"Mike H." wrote:
I have a spreadsheet someone else created. Upon opening, it asks what I wish
to do about external references. Here is what I want to do: I want to find
them. I can go to edit links and see that there are links, but how can I
find the cells that contain the links? Then I can make intelligent decisions
about what to do about them. Thanks....- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is a great add-in...I saved the download to my AddIns folder but cannot
seem to activate it in Excel from Tools...I noticed it had a .xla
extension...any tips for getting it to work? am I missing a step maybe?

I downloaded and used it with no problems on my old laptop but cant get it
to work with my new laptop...an updated version maybe?

Im a 2003 user...

thanks!