Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finally, a legitimate Excel 2007 crash

Well, I've heard a lot about it on these newsgroups, but had not yet
run into this myself - until now.

Specifically, Excel 2007 "randomly" crashing. Not because I entered a
long formula in 50 million cells and it's taking two evenings to
calculate, but actually crashing for seemingly no good reason.

Here's the setup. I'm doing an accounting entry to distribute a
quarterly payment by days. Payment is based on three months, each
having 21, 22, and 21 days respectively. Using R1C1-style references,
because I need to count columns (to match .def file) and it's easier
that way. To avoid rounding issues, here's what I'm doing: cell for
month 1, enter =ROUND(754350.57*(21/64),2) and copy this to month 3.
Then, in the cell for month 2, I enter the following: =754350.57-
R[-1]C-R[1]C

Next, I go to the cell for month 2, press F2 (edit cell) and F9 (calc
cell) - Excel freezes. End Task, report error, recover documents.
Switch to A1-style references - works with no problem!

Can anybody else replicate this? It doesn't seem to be happening for
all formulae using RC references. Edit directly in cell option does
not seem to affect it (I thought it was the cause at first). It's
only happening in the one file....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am unable to reproduce this. But that is not surprising since you state
"It's
only happening in the one file"
Any chance you could rebuilt that file?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ilia" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sure.

http://www.44lbs.net/ilia/TryToCrashExcel.xlsx

The only thing I did was take out client names, everything else is the
same.

With R1C1-style references, go to cell R330C17, press F2 and then F9.
This causes my Excel to freeze.

On Nov 6, 4:22 pm, "Bernard Liengme"
wrote:
I am unable to reproduce this. But that is not surprising since you state
"It's
only happening in the one file"
Any chance you could rebuilt that file?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
MicrosoftExcelMVPwww.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"ilia" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

only happening in the one file....- Hide quoted text -