Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Do Large Workbooks Still Crash in Excel 2007

A persistant problem I've has with Excel (in versions going back 5 years)
occurs when Workbooks are very large espcially when Worksheets have 30,000 or
more rows. It occurs erratically when a cell (even one without a formula) is
changed and it may happen even after you've just saved the workbook (so that
Excel need not keep track of undo operations). What happens is you receive
the message: "Excel Has Encountered a Problem and needs to Close". If you
haven't saved too recently you wait, sometimes for ages, for the Recover
operation to complete. If you've built any large workbooks and have this
happen you tend to lower the number of minutes between recover operations.
But they're slow too AND when they happen you lose undo as though you has
done a save. Now I've been waiting for Excel to increase the number of
columns beyond 256 for some time BUT I hope this instability issue has been
resolved. If Excel 2007 Beta still has these problems I hope Microsoft is
making an effort to see that it no longer occurs in the full release version.
--
Good Night and Good Luck!