Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protecting cells

uI'm sure this is simple but jst can't do it.

I have a worksheet with a few cells that I want to enter data into. All the
rest of the worksheet flows from these few enteries. I want to allow the
user access to the data entry cells but prevent any entries into all the rest
of calculated cells. I also want them to be able to see the results of the
calculations.

Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Select the cell where you want the user to enter data and then:-

Format|cells|Protection
Remove the locked checkmark
Protect the sheet with

Tools|Protection|Protect sheet and apply a password if you want and your done.

One small point, this should not be considered secure.

Mike

"Tommy Boy" wrote:

uI'm sure this is simple but jst can't do it.

I have a worksheet with a few cells that I want to enter data into. All the
rest of the worksheet flows from these few enteries. I want to allow the
user access to the data entry cells but prevent any entries into all the rest
of calculated cells. I also want them to be able to see the results of the
calculations.

Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By default, all cells are protected when sheet protection is enabled.

Select the cells you want unprotected and FormatCellsProtection

Uncheck "locked".

ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet. Note the options when protecting.

Supply a password and OK.

Excel's internal security is weak but this will prevent overwriting by accident.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP