Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging Excel Data Into Word

I'm not sure whether I should post this in the Excel or Word forums. If
there's a better forum, please let me know.

I keep recipes in Excel. Based on a person's weight, I adjust the amount of
the ingredients. That's why I keep those recipes in Excel, so I can
manipulate the data. I have the following column headings in an Excel
worksheet.

Title (Example: Black Bean Mango Salsa)
Amount
Unit
Ingredients
Additional Info
Method (All in one cell. Might be several paragraphs long.)

Here's an example of what I'd like displayed:

Amount: 3.5
Unit: cups
Ingredient: black beans
Additional Info: drained and rinsed

I tried to do a Mail Merge type of deal, but each ingredient ended up on its
own page in the Word document.

I'm probably not approaching this correctly or very efficiently. Could
someone tell me if I'm headed in the right direction or taking the wrong
approach? If my approach is wrong, could you recommend a better way?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried a simple OLE? (Object linking and embeding)
Highlight the range that you want
CTL-C (copy)
Open WORD
CTL-V (paste)
This should just "paste" the spread sheet into WORD
Or - Try a VIEW-PASTE SPECIAL (Select paste as MICROSOFT EXCEL....)
This works for me - however the size may be a bit large and your going to
have to adjust cell sizes. If you make it "small" first the paste is smaller.

Also, by just double clicking the spread sheet in WORD, it will open up
EXCEL and be ready to edit it directly. Then saving everything automatically
updates the WORD doc.

"Tampa-Terry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank, Danny! Yes, I have. If it were just the rare/occasional recipe I
needed to copy into Word, it wouldn't be a problem, but I do this a lot, many
times a day. I'm looking for a way to create a template and/or fields in
Word, format them and automate the process of printing a properly formatted
recipe. Currently I'm doing everything manually; i.e., clean-up, editing and
formatting.

I actually tried copying the recipe in Excel and doing a Paste special --
both Formatted and Unformatted text. In all cases, there are still tabs
between the columns that I end up deleting. Then I have to center the title
and bold it. Then I have to format the directions.

What I was hoping to do was all the number crunching I needed to on the
recipe in Excel and then possibly have some sort of a template with fields,
where everything is inserted in the right spots and formatted correctly. I'm
sure something like this is possible with VBA, but I've never done VBA; i.e.,
don't have a working familiarity with it.