Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging Data

I have 2 worksheets that I would like to merge all the data into 1.
Both these worksheets are a listing of staff names, job title, department
and the hours they have worked in the last 6 months.
I want to merge these worksheets so that I am able to have all the info for
each employee from both worksheets on 1 row in another worksheet. The
problem is worksheet 1 and 2 don't have all the same staff listed - as new
people are hired and others leave.
Hope that is enough information that someone is able to help me.

Joan

--
Me
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joan,

If either sheet has all the names, you could add columns in that sheet that use VLOOKUP
against the other sheet to retrieve the additional fields (columns). Then you'd Copy, then
Paste Special - Values right over itself (to remove the VLOOKUPs and make the data
permanent). Then you'd trash the other sheet.

If both sheets have only some of the names, then you should rearrange the columns so that
the name column is the same column in each, and move other columns in one sheet to columns
beyond those of the first sheet. Then paste one sheet under the other, and sort on the name
column. Those that were in both sheets will to be duplicated. Formulas can be used to to
consolidate them, then the duplicates removed (www.cpearson.com has techniques for duplicate
rows). Then the formulas can be removed with the paste special trick I mentioned earlier. We
can give you a formula, if you give the exact layout after you've consolidated the sheets.

If neither of these approaches is satisfactory, I suggest you describe the two sheets more
fully
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...
"Joan" wrote in message
I have 2 worksheets that I would like to merge all the data into 1.
Both these worksheets are a listing of staff names, job title, department
and the hours they have worked in the last 6 months.
I want to merge these worksheets so that I am able to have all the info for
each employee from both worksheets on 1 row in another worksheet. The
problem is worksheet 1 and 2 don't have all the same staff listed - as new
people are hired and others leave.
Hope that is enough information that someone is able to help me.

Joan

--
Me

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So, you will have some names that appear in both sheets, and other
names that appear in only one of the sheets? Are you likely to have
any duplicated names within any one sheet?

Where you have a name that appears in both sheets, how do you want to
merge it? Will the data be identical on both sheets (so you just want
to discard one record), or might there be some information from one
that needs to be added to the corresponding information on the other
sheet?

As you can see, you do really need to supply some more detailed
information about your requirements.

Pete

On Oct 19, 11:44 pm, Joan wrote:
I have 2 worksheets that I would like to merge all the data into 1.
Both these worksheets are a listing of staff names, job title, department
and the hours they have worked in the last 6 months.
I want to merge these worksheets so that I am able to have all the info for
each employee from both worksheets on 1 row in another worksheet. The
problem is worksheet 1 and 2 don't have all the same staff listed - as new
people are hired and others leave.
Hope that is enough information that someone is able to help me.

Joan

--
Me

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes some names appear in both sheets and other names may show on only 1 sheet.
There are no duplicated names on either sheet.

Basically I want to start with Worksheet A - that lists names and hours
worked in Jan. I want to add another column in Worksheet A from Worksheet B
that are hrs worked in Feb. Keep in mind that not all the same names appear
on both worksheets.
--
Me