Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JHL JHL is offline

Copy your columns
Paste - Special - Transpose

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try =CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1,D1,E1)
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

May not be acceptable with your volume but put this in column and copy down
(assumes data starts in A1):

=OFFSET($A$1,INT((ROW()-1)/5),MOD(ROW()-1,5))

Then copy, paste special= values

HTH

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think all you can do is set the column width and format the cells to word
wrap. You will need spaces between words so if there is not a space at the
end of each word you will need to use =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1," ",C1," ",D1,"
",E1)
--

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this - output is in column F

Sub newline()
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
For irow = 1 To lastrow
mystr = ""
For icol = 1 To 5
mystr = mystr + Cells(irow, icol) + Chr(10)
Next icol
Cells(irow, "F") = mystr
Next irow
End Sub