w8ting4hlp

Default how to merge data from multiple columns to one column

I have first, middle, and last names in A, B, and C. I want to merge
everything into A. Ho do I do that?
momtoaj

In column D use the formula

=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1

The " " would put in your spaces in between the names.
Then go to column D & do Edit Copy, move to column A & do
Edit Paste. Then you should be able to delete columns B,
C & D.

Hope that helps!

GWB Direct

=CONCATENATE (text1,text2,...)

Text1, text2, ... are 1 to 30 text items to be joined into a single text
item. The text items can be text strings, numbers, or single-cell references.

Remarks

The "&" operator can be used instead of CONCATENATE to join text items.

"w8ting4hlp" wrote:

I have first, middle, and last names in A, B, and C. I want to merge
everything into A. Ho do I do that?

JeffC

I also have the same question. I have used the methods listed here and have
successfully displayed all text in one cell with this formula. However, if I
delete the adjoining cells that the formula refers to, I get a #REF# error.

Is there a way to actually merge text from multiple cells in to a single cell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"momtoaj" wrote:

In column D use the formula

=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1

The " " would put in your spaces in between the names.
Then go to column D & do Edit Copy, move to column A & do
Edit Paste. Then you should be able to delete columns B,
C & D.

Hope that helps!

Gord Dibben

Jeff

After concatenating the cells into one using the =A1 & B1 etc. copy those
formula cells then, in place, paste specialvaluesOKEsc.

You can now delete the original cells.

"Merging" cells will retain only the data from the top leftmost cell.

"Merged" cells cause no end of problems with copying, sorting, filtering.

Leave that feature alone as much as possible.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

.