-   -   Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/132120-merging-multiple-columns-data-into-one-column-data.html)

Archangel

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

JHL

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

Copy your columns
Paste - Special - Transpose

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

John

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

try =CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1,D1,E1)
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Toppers

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

May not be acceptable with your volume but put this in column and copy down
(assumes data starts in A1):

=OFFSET($A$1,INT((ROW()-1)/5),MOD(ROW()-1,5))

Then copy, paste special= values

HTH

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Archangel

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

John - That worked great the data is all in one cell now. Is there a way to
put each one of those columns on a 'new' line in the concatenated column?
Mike

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Teethless mama

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

=INDEX($A$1:$E$1,ROWS($1:1))

Copy down as far as required

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

John

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

I think all you can do is set the column width and format the cells to word
wrap. You will need spaces between words so if there is not a space at the
end of each word you will need to use =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1," ",C1," ",D1,"
",E1)
--

"Archangel" wrote:

I have a large spread sheet that I inherited... I need to merge five columns
of text data into one column.
Example:

Before...
A B C D E
The Quick Brown Fox Jumped

After...
The
Quick
Brown
Fox
Jumped

Help!

Toppers

Merging multiple columns of data into one column of data

Try this - output is in column F

Sub newline()
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
For irow = 1 To lastrow
mystr = ""
For icol = 1 To 5
mystr = mystr + Cells(irow, icol) + Chr(10)
Next icol
Cells(irow, "F") = mystr
Next irow
End Sub