Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default read-only option not appearing on file menu

It seems that some people can see the read-only option on their file menu and
others cannot. I use this option after I select Open, then select the file
and right-click to get the list of options. Open Read-Only is one of the
options but not every computer has this listed. Is this an option that can
be changed?

I can't possibly protect every file so as a safety precaution we like to
open files with the read-only option when we just want to take a look at
something or print something.

Thanks
Marnie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are your users running different versions of excel?

I think that right-click, readonly option went away (maybe xl2k, maybe
xl2002???).

Anyway, if you look at the Open button on the File|Open dialog, you'll see a
dropdown arrow. You can select the file, then use that dropdown arrow to choose
readonly.

===
You may want to see if you can get your IT staff to provide you with a share on
your network that only you (and a trusted co-worker) have read/write access.
All others have readonly access.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave. Yes we are operating with different versions of excel and the
newer versions have the read-only option exactly where you said. Thanks so
much. And your other suggestion is a great idea. We have a small staff that
needs to have the read/write access, while many others only need to view.

thanks again
Marnie