Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mau Mau is offline

Default how to disable automatic nr conversion

In a generic report I got column A with descriptions (not numbers) such as:
200006E002
200006E003
200006E004

the export procedure to Excel 97 give me a column with the same data:
200006E002
200006E003
200007E004

That's good!
but the same export procedure to Excel2003 or Excel2007 give me these
results into the cells:
2,00E+07
2,00E+08
2,00E+09

and also the value into the formula bar is like 20000600 so I loose the "E"
character and I can't even set the cell to "Text" because Excel 2003/2007
read E as exponential formula...
how can I get the same result in Excel2003/2007 as in Excel97 without having
to "open as" and using the text import wizard?

Thank you
Maurizio
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You haven't said in what form your report has produced the data. If it is a
CSV, you can either rename the CSV as .TXT, or use Data/ Import External
Data, rather than just opening the CSV. That way, you'll be able to specify
the format of the columns on the import. Specify as text, rather than
General.
--
David Biddulph

"Mau" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mau Mau is offline

Hi David, the output isn't a file, just a screen output of a SAP (the
"famous" ERP) execute command, then you have the "Save as Excel" menu button,
but the problem is that it works very well with Excel97 and very bad with
Excel 2003/2007, and I'm disconcert by this behaviour: I don't want to
reinstall Excel 97 to everybody and I'd like to avoid the futher step of
saving as CSV file and reopen into Excel2007!!!!

Thank you