Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Format Part of Cells Text

So I have a list of emails. I want highlight all those from a given domain
all those from ".

I tried Cell Value - Equal to - =RIGHT(E:E,16)="widgitmakers.com"

It highlights all the blank emails.

Since an If statement requires a true result, I wouldn't know where to begin
on that one. Any ideas what's going wrong?

~Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have to test each cell individually.

Assume the range of interest is E1:E10.
Select the range E1:E10 so that cell E1 is the active cell. The active cell
is the one that is not "blueish" in color.
Then, in conditional formatting use the Formula Is option.

Formula Is: =RIGHT(E1,16)="widgitmakers.com"

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Lori" wrote in message
So I have a list of emails. I want highlight all those from a given
domain
all those from ".

I tried Cell Value - Equal to - =RIGHT(E:E,16)="widgitmakers.com"

It highlights all the blank emails.

Since an If statement requires a true result, I wouldn't know where to
begin
on that one. Any ideas what's going wrong?

~Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=RIGHT(E:E,16)="widgitmakers.com" is presumably evaluating to FALSE, so with
"Cell Value is" your blank cells will be regarded as meeting that criterion.

Don't use "Cell value is", but use "Formula is" instead
=RIGHT(E1,16)="widgitmakers.com"
--
David Biddulph

"Lori" wrote in message
So I have a list of emails. I want highlight all those from a given
domain
all those from ".

I tried Cell Value - Equal to - =RIGHT(E:E,16)="widgitmakers.com"

It highlights all the blank emails.

Since an If statement requires a true result, I wouldn't know where to
begin
on that one. Any ideas what's going wrong?

~Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select Column E and FormatCFFormula is =RIGHT(E1,16)="widgitmakers.com"

Format to a color and OK your way out.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:29:01 -0700, Lori wrote:

So I have a list of emails. I want highlight all those from a given domain
all those from ".

I tried Cell Value - Equal to - =RIGHT(E:E,16)="widgitmakers.com"

It highlights all the blank emails.

Since an If statement requires a true result, I wouldn't know where to begin
on that one. Any ideas what's going wrong?

~Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lori... you probably read my posting and are still scratching your head over
what I meant. Well, you can stop scratching now... the problem is I thought
I was answering the posting by ZatHope immediately above yours when I posted
it. I must have clicked the wrong message when I came back to answer it and
you ended up with my words of wisdom instead.<g

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"Lori" wrote in message
So I have a list of emails. I want highlight all those from a given
domain
all those from ".

I tried Cell Value - Equal to - =RIGHT(E:E,16)="widgitmakers.com"

It highlights all the blank emails.

Since an If statement requires a true result, I wouldn't know where to
begin
on that one. Any ideas what's going wrong?

~Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick~

I won't hold it against you. If that's your story although I know you just
really wanted to talk w/me. You're such a flirt.

~Lori