Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Yawrood

Default format part of text in a cell?

Excel cell contains 3 words of text. I want to make one of the words smaller
and bolded. As soon as I perform edit, edit goes away as soon as I move
cursor off cell.

Why? How can I edit part of the text so that it stays edited?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SiC

In edit mode, highlight the word in the cell that you want to format. Then
Ctrl 1 to bring up the format dialog box and apply whatever format you want
to the selected text.

-Simon

"Yawrood" wrote:

Excel cell contains 3 words of text. I want to make one of the words smaller
and bolded. As soon as I perform edit, edit goes away as soon as I move
cursor off cell.

Why? How can I edit part of the text so that it stays edited?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Select the cell in question.

In the formula bar, highlight the text you want to format.

Then goto FormatCells

Biff

"Yawrood" wrote in message
Excel cell contains 3 words of text. I want to make one of the words
smaller
and bolded. As soon as I perform edit, edit goes away as soon as I move
cursor off cell.

Why? How can I edit part of the text so that it stays edited?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Yawrood

Biff - I did that. As soon as i move the cursor to another cell, the
formatting goes away.

"Yawrood" wrote in message
Excel cell contains 3 words of text. I want to make one of the words
smaller
and bolded. As soon as I perform edit, edit goes away as soon as I move
cursor off cell.

Why? How can I edit part of the text so that it stays edited?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

As Biff said, if your cell contains text (ie "this edited word" ) and
you highlight the 'Edited' and set it's attributes then the text should
remain formatted.

If you mean that the cell contains (say) 257 (not in Text format) and
you are trying to highlight the '5' then you will have problems as you
describe.

Can you explain what you are trying to highlight, and what version of
Excel you are using?

--

"Yawrood" wrote in message
Excel cell contains 3 words of text. I want to make one of the

words
smaller
and bolded. As soon as I perform edit, edit goes away as soon as I

move
cursor off cell.

Why? How can I edit part of the text so that it stays edited?

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547645

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Yawrood

Hi Bryan and thanks - I'm using Excel 2003 - Office Professional Suite. I
have 3 words of text - William Smith, Payroll. I was trying to bold
"Payroll" as well as enlarge it from 6 to 9 points.

However, reading your response wherein you say "......(not in Text
format)....." caused me to double check the formatting for the entire column.
I don't recall ever having changed that column from "Text" to "Accounting"
but sure enough, when I checked, it was "Accounting". No wonder it wouldn't
work. But I've corrected my mistake and now can format it as desired.

Thanks to all.

"Yawrood" wrote in message
Excel cell contains 3 words of text. I want to make one of the

words
smaller
and bolded. As soon as I perform edit, edit goes away as soon as I

move
cursor off cell.

Why? How can I edit part of the text so that it stays edited?

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547645

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Good to see, and thanks for the response.

--

"Yawrood" wrote in message
Excel cell contains 3 words of text. I want to make one of

the
words
smaller
and bolded. As soon as I perform edit, edit goes away as soon

as I
move
cursor off cell.

Why? How can I edit part of the text so that it stays edited?

--
Bryan Hessey

Bryan Hessey's Profile:

View this thread: