Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting Numbers in Excel 2003

According to the MS documentation:

"By default, all worksheet cells are formatted with the General number
format. With the General format, anything you type into the cell is usually
left as-is. For example, if you type 36526 into a cell and then press ENTER,
the cell contents are displayed as 36526. "

But . . .
When I open a new sheet, I type 36526 and get 365.26 (the cell format is
General before I start)

So then I choose a blank cell and Format/Cells/Number/Number/ with 0 decimal
places.

Then I type 36526 and it displays 365 in the cell and I get 365.26 in the
formula cell.

I can't get a whole number input or displayed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tools|Options|Edit tab|Uncheck Fixed decimal places.

It's useful for accountant types who don't want to be slowed down when they're
doing lots of data entry.

--

Dave Peterson