Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default opens an extra workbook

Everytime I open any of my Excel files it now opens an additional (and
unwanted) workbook. It never used to do this, how do I stop this from
happening?
Thanks,
Joanne
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Joanne

Maybe this ?
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#TwoWindows

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Joanne" wrote in message ...
Everytime I open any of my Excel files it now opens an additional (and
unwanted) workbook. It never used to do this, how do I stop this from
happening?
Thanks,
Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Ron, but unfortunately that is not it. When I open the file I get the
workbook I want and then a second blank workbook labelled "book 1". I have
tried the close and save suggestion but it still opens a blank "book 1" again
the next time I open the file.

Joanne

"Joanne" wrote in message ...
Everytime I open any of my Excel files it now opens an additional (and
unwanted) workbook. It never used to do this, how do I stop this from
happening?
Thanks,
Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A blank book or a particular book?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:58:02 -0700, Joanne
wrote:

Everytime I open any of my Excel files it now opens an additional (and
unwanted) workbook. It never used to do this, how do I stop this from
happening?
Thanks,
Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What does your command line look like in Folder OptionsFile Types?

Go to StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile Types

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

You must have the double quotes and the <space/e prevents a new book from
opening.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:25:00 -0700, Joanne
wrote:

A blank one.
Joanne

wrote:

Everytime I open any of my Excel files it now opens an additional (and
unwanted) workbook. It never used to do this, how do I stop this from
happening?
Thanks,
Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What do you have in your XLStart folder?
(Use windows|search to find that folder)

and if you open excel and see that extra workbook, put this in A1 of the first
worksheet:

=cell("Filename",a1)
(don't change anything in that formula)

What do you see?

Joanne wrote:

Everytime I open any of my Excel files it now opens an additional (and
unwanted) workbook. It never used to do this, how do I stop this from
happening?
Thanks,
Joanne

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the XLStart folder I have only one file and it is a pdf maker 5.0 macro
for Excel
When I enter that formula in A1 of the extra book nothing appears in the cell.
Joanne.

Joanne wrote:

Everytime I open any of my Excel files it now opens an additional (and
unwanted) workbook. It never used to do this, how do I stop this from
happening?
Thanks,
Joanne

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you've upgraded through different versions of excel, you could have multiple
XLStart folders. Any chance you've done that?

If yes, look again through all the XLStart folders.

===
Since the formula returned nothing, that means that there isn't an existing .xls
workbook opening. But the challenge is still to find the cause.