Ron

Default Drop down menu

Is is possible when you have a drop down menu, to have excel short list the
menu as you type in more charcaters of the text. For example a have a list
of several hundred customers. I start inputting the first few letters of the
customers name, I would like that list of several hundred to be shortened to
only include thaise customers that begin with the letters I have typed in.

Thanks
Max

Think this previous post by Debra Dalgleish would be of help:

"Although data validation doesn't support autocomplete, there's a sample
file here that provides a combobox from which you can select one of the
values from the data validation list. In the combobox, you can enable
autocomplete:
Under 'Data Validation', look for 'Data Validation Combobox' "

--
Rgds
Max
"Ron" wrote in message
Is is possible when you have a drop down menu, to have excel short list

the
menu as you type in more charcaters of the text. For example a have a

list
of several hundred customers. I start inputting the first few letters of

the
customers name, I would like that list of several hundred to be shortened

only include thaise customers that begin with the letters I have typed in.

Thanks

Ron

I was succesful in adding a combo box but could not get it to work properly.
When I double click it does not show the drop down menu. Is there an easy
was to copy the example from Debra into my spreadsheet. What changes doI
need to make?

"Ron" wrote in message
Is is possible when you have a drop down menu, to have excel short list

the
menu as you type in more charcaters of the text. For example a have a

list
of several hundred customers. I start inputting the first few letters of

the
customers name, I would like that list of several hundred to be shortened

only include thaise customers that begin with the letters I have typed in.

Thanks

Gord Dibben

Ron

Assuming you have Debra's workbook loaded and active.

A single-click will show the Data Validation drop-down list to choose from.

This is built in the normal DV steps.

The combo box you build from scratch so you have both in the same cell.

A double-click will allow you to start typing in the box and autocomplete will
take over.

After you double-click you will also see a smaller inner arrow that you
single-click on to get the drop-down list.

Kind of a 3-way operation with your choice of options.

To make changes, right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

You make any changes there to the code to reflect your ranges to work upon.

Copy the whole thing to a new workbook and start from there.

Follow Debra's on-screen instructions to change Combo Box settings.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP