Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup percentages

I am fairly familiar with VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, and pivot tables, but have a
problem that perhaps somebody can help with. I have a pivot table built with
three columns as in the following partial example (whole table is much longer
but this should show the issue):

A B C
Month PayPercent CumPercent
1 24.1% 24.1%
2 0.0% 24.1%
3 10.9% 35.0%
4 0.0% 35.0%
5 0.0% 35.0%
6 34.5% 69.5%
7 -5.5% 64.0%

I want to use CumPercent to find a starting point for projects that are in
progress. I tried to use a vector form LOOKUP(projpct,$C$2:$C$84,$A$2:$A$84)
to look for the nearest percent in Column C and then return the matching
Month number from column A. Unfortunately it seems to give up and return 2
when I am looking for a month with 69% - I think it does not like seeing the
same value twice and decides that it will not go any further. Even worse,
the negative percent for month 7 means the column is not always in ascending
order. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am looking for a month with 69%

If there is not an exact match (as there is not in your sample) what result
do you expect?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tmarsh7407" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I read that lookup will find "the largest value that is less than or equal to
the lookup value", in this case month 5 with 35%. I then have the percent
catch up and use the table percentages for remaining forecast periods. If
you know of some other function (or even some short VB code, emphasis on
short) I would gladly consider it

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I read that lookup will find "the largest value that is less
than or equal to the lookup value",

*If* the lookup array is sorted ascending which yours isn't.

in this case month 5 with 35%.

Why isn't the correct result month 7 with 64.0% ?

--

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff
Thanks for the help. The more I think about it, the less I think LOOKUP
is the right way to go. The percentage I am looking up is 69%, slightly less
than the 69.5% in row 6, so I knew it would go back to 5, I was surprised to
see that the data sometimes does not change from one month to another and can
even have a negative payment (refund of an earlier overpayment).

I had ruled out VLOOKUP because VLOOKUP requires the lookup column to be the
leftmost column. Others I looked at like MATCH seem to require an exact
match, not feasible when the pivot table can go from any percent to a much
higher or even lower in a single month, or stay unchanged.

I am hoping you or somebody knows of another function (or formula, or VB)
that will find the closest lower percentage for my starting month and let me
proceed from that point on. Thanks again.

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=INDEX(A2:A20,MATCH(LARGE(C2:C20,COUNTIF(C2:C20," "&E1)+1),C2:C20,0))

will return the value in A2:A20 after finding the lower closest value in
C2:C20 with the lookup value in E1 without the values being sorter in one
way or the other, note that it will return an error if the lookup value is
less than the smallest value. You can obviously fix that by using

=IF(E1<MIN(B2:B20),"Not
Found",INDEX(A2:A20,MATCH(LARGE(C2:C20,COUNTIF(C2: C20,""&E1)+1),C2:C20,0)))

Peo Sjoblom

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's the slightly shorter array** version:

=INDEX(A2:A8,MATCH(MAX(IF(C2:C8<=E1,C2:C8)),C2:C8, 0))

The result is 7, matching 64.0 which is the largest value that is less than
or equal to the lookup value.

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Peo
I ended up with the reference version. Once I saw what you were doing I
was able to simplify, since i only care about the first time I hit the
percent. Note my forecasting is done on a separate sheet from the pivot,
hence the sheet names in the formula:

=INDEX('Design Pivot VQ'!A$8:A$91,COUNTIF('Design Pivot
VQ'!C$8:C$91,"<="&I14)+1,'Design Pivot VQ'!C$8:C$91,1)

I then use the month number in VLOOKUP formulas in the later months of the
forecast. Thank you for your help, feel free to use if anyone else has a
similar question.

tmarsh7407