Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GSTL

Default Percentages

ok, I admit I'm being dense.

Column A = my weight

Column b= how much I've lost

Column c= percent of body weight I've lost. therefo b/a-b

How do I put in this formula to work so that all of the rows will
automatically calculate? it seems as tough I have to list each set of cells
separatey, and since this will go over the course of the year, it will take
for ever.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

The percent lost is lbs lost / initial weight. In your terms, b/a, rather
than b/a-b.
If your original weight is in A2: calculate the weight loss in b3 as
=a3-a$2, and the % loss in c3 as =b3/a$2. As you enter newer weights in
column A, just autofill the formulas from b3 and c3 into subsequent rows.

"GSTL" wrote:

ok, I admit I'm being dense.

Column A = my weight

Column b= how much I've lost

Column c= percent of body weight I've lost. therefo b/a-b

How do I put in this formula to work so that all of the rows will
automatically calculate? it seems as tough I have to list each set of cells
separatey, and since this will go over the course of the year, it will take
for ever.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Assuming you have titles in row 1 enter this in C2

Column C formatted as Percentage.

=IF(A2="","",B2/(A2-B2))

Drag/copy down using the fill handle on C2.

The cell references will increment as you drag.

If no data in column A, C will remain blank.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:57:01 -0800, "GSTL"
wrote:

ok, I admit I'm being dense.

Column A = my weight

Column b= how much I've lost

Column c= percent of body weight I've lost. therefo b/a-b

How do I put in this formula to work so that all of the rows will
automatically calculate? it seems as tough I have to list each set of cells
separatey, and since this will go over the course of the year, it will take
for ever.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GSTL

Thanks Gord, I knew the formula I needed but putting it iin the chart totally
blew me over. Thanks for your help.