msdobe

Default calculating percentages

I'm trying to calculaate 2 percentages:

1. H2/D2 * 100
2. G2+H2/D2 * 100

Thanks!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Niek Otten

What is your question?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"msdobe" wrote in message
I'm trying to calculaate 2 percentages:

1. H2/D2 * 100
2. G2+H2/D2 * 100

Thanks!

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Paul Sheppard

For the first example 1. H2/D2 * 100 - type =H2/D2 and format the cell
as a percentage, Format, Cells and on the number tab under category
select percentage

For the second example 2. G2+H2/D2 * 100 - type =SUM(G2+H2)/D2 ansd
again format the cell as a percentage

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783

Paul Sheppard wrote:
For the second example 2. G2+H2/D2 * 100 - type =SUM(G2+H2)/D2
ansd again format the cell as a percentage

Pray tell, what does SUM(G2+H2) do that (G2+H2) would not do
equally well, if not better?

Moreover, it should be noted that G2+H2/D2 is ambiguous.
Paul interpreted it as (G2+H2)/D2, and he might very well
be right. But "msdobe" might have intended G2+(H2/D2).
No way to know.

In any case, the answer to all such questions is what you
said for the first case: format the cell with the number
category "percentage" and omit "* 100".

Since "msdobe" is obviously naive, it should be noted that
that the recommendation will result in cells whose physical
value contains the visible value divided by 100. For
example, if the cell appears to have 50%, its actual value
is 0.50.

Moreover, a side-effect of the formatting suggestion is
that all cells will have the "%" character. If "msdobe"
wants to avoid that, then return to the original expression
with "* 100" and properly parenthesize it.

Specifically, the second expression should be either
(G2+H2)/D2 * 100 or (G2 + H2/D2)*100, depending on intent.
There seems to be nothing wrong with the first expression,
in this respect.

msdobe

I used Paul's formula " =SUM(G2+H2)/D2 " and it was working perfectly. Then
all of a sudden I keep getting a #VALUE! error in the cell. No matter what
I try it keeps coming up. I deleted the *100 and just format the cell as a
percentage, but I don't know why I keep getting the VALUE error.

Niek Otten

Probably because one of the cells is text, although it may look like a
number. Format all cells involved as number and re-enter the value (F2,
ENTER)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten