Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Lookup percentages

I am looking for a month with 69%

If there is not an exact match (as there is not in your sample) what result
do you expect?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tmarsh7407" wrote in message
I am fairly familiar with VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, and pivot tables, but have a
problem that perhaps somebody can help with. I have a pivot table built
with
three columns as in the following partial example (whole table is much
longer
but this should show the issue):

A B C
Month PayPercent CumPercent
1 24.1% 24.1%
2 0.0% 24.1%
3 10.9% 35.0%
4 0.0% 35.0%
5 0.0% 35.0%
6 34.5% 69.5%
7 -5.5% 64.0%

I want to use CumPercent to find a starting point for projects that are
in
progress. I tried to use a vector form
LOOKUP(projpct,$C$2:$C$84,$A$2:$A$84)
to look for the nearest percent in Column C and then return the matching
Month number from column A. Unfortunately it seems to give up and return
2
when I am looking for a month with 69% - I think it does not like seeing
the
same value twice and decides that it will not go any further. Even worse,
the negative percent for month 7 means the column is not always in
ascending
order. Any ideas?