Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Lookup percentages

I read that lookup will find "the largest value that is less
than or equal to the lookup value",

*If* the lookup array is sorted ascending which yours isn't.

in this case month 5 with 35%.

Why isn't the correct result month 7 with 64.0% ?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tmarsh7407" wrote in message
I read that lookup will find "the largest value that is less than or equal
the lookup value", in this case month 5 with 35%. I then have the
percent
catch up and use the table percentages for remaining forecast periods. If
you know of some other function (or even some short VB code, emphasis on
short) I would gladly consider it

"T. Valko" wrote:

I am looking for a month with 69%

If there is not an exact match (as there is not in your sample) what
result
do you expect?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tmarsh7407" wrote in message
I am fairly familiar with VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, and pivot tables, but
have a
problem that perhaps somebody can help with. I have a pivot table
built
with
three columns as in the following partial example (whole table is much
longer
but this should show the issue):

A B C
Month PayPercent CumPercent
1 24.1% 24.1%
2 0.0% 24.1%
3 10.9% 35.0%
4 0.0% 35.0%
5 0.0% 35.0%
6 34.5% 69.5%
7 -5.5% 64.0%

I want to use CumPercent to find a starting point for projects that
are
in
progress. I tried to use a vector form
LOOKUP(projpct,$C$2:$C$84,$A$2:$A$84)
to look for the nearest percent in Column C and then return the
matching
Month number from column A. Unfortunately it seems to give up and
return
2
when I am looking for a month with 69% - I think it does not like
seeing
the
same value twice and decides that it will not go any further. Even
worse,
the negative percent for month 7 means the column is not always in
ascending
order. Any ideas?