Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Open With" Excel Does Not Work For TXT File Extension

I've done everything I can do, in the Open With/Choose Program settings, and
none of my efforts will allow me to choose Excel. I select the executable,
such as:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE"

save it, then nothing happens. How can I fix this please?

Rick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nel ,
Rick Hamilton ha scritto:
I've done everything I can do, in the Open With/Choose Program
settings, and none of my efforts will allow me to choose Excel. I
select the executable, such as:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE"

save it, then nothing happens. How can I fix this please?

Rick

Hi Rick,

first open Excel, then select the txt file to open (you have to switch the
type of file to open from .xls to *.*).

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This does NOT fix my issue. I have scads of folders and files, and they are
best browsed from My Computer/Windows Explorer, not from within Excel's Open
File dialogue. Any other suggestions to FIX the Windows Explorer
dysfunction, anyone?

Rick

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Nel ,
Rick Hamilton ha scritto:
I've done everything I can do, in the Open With/Choose Program
settings, and none of my efforts will allow me to choose Excel. I
select the executable, such as:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE"

save it, then nothing happens. How can I fix this please?

Rick

Hi Rick,

first open Excel, then select the txt file to open (you have to switch the
type of file to open from .xls to *.*).

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick

Open Windows Explorer and select a *.txt file.

Right-click and "Open With".

Do not select Excel just yet.

Hit "Choose Program" and select MS Excel then checkmark in "Always use etc."

Should stick for all *.txt files to open with Excel.

If not, maybe with Explorer open go to ToolsFolder OptionsFile Types.

Select TXT and Advanced. With "Open" selected hit "Edit" and set the path to
Excel.exe

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:08:02 -0700, Rick Hamilton
wrote:

This does NOT fix my issue. I have scads of folders and files, and they are
best browsed from My Computer/Windows Explorer, not from within Excel's Open
File dialogue. Any other suggestions to FIX the Windows Explorer
dysfunction, anyone?

Rick

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Nel ,
Rick Hamilton ha scritto:
I've done everything I can do, in the Open With/Choose Program
settings, and none of my efforts will allow me to choose Excel. I
select the executable, such as:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE"

save it, then nothing happens. How can I fix this please?

Rick

Hi Rick,

first open Excel, then select the txt file to open (you have to switch the
type of file to open from .xls to *.*).

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick,,,
Have you resolved your problem, I too am having the same problem with my new
Office 2007 software. Mine did work for a couple months, now I can only open
files by right click the file and click open as administrator? Any clues
would ne appreciated. I also noticed that all of the file extensions are now
..xlsx, not as they were previously .xls.
I have been fighting this for a week now.
Thanks
Don