Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default "Cannot access read-only document" (I get this error when I try to open an Excel file)

If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative. Whenever I try to open
a particular Excel file (ie. filename.xls) I get the error, "Cannot
access read-only document". This is a file I use almost daily. I've
checked the file's properties and the "Read Only" property is not
checked. It opened fine just a couple days ago. Since then, the only
problem I had was with my System.ini file. System.ini appeared to have
become corrupted (upon bootup yesterday, I had lost my mouse and my
screen was stuck at 640X480 and 16 colors - what caused this I have no
idea). I know that System.ini was corrupted because after this screen
display problem started yesterday, I went into "msconfig" and chose the
"System.ini" tab and all I saw was mostly gibberish. I have since
fixed that problem (by using "scanreg /restore") and now everything on
my computer seems normal again except for this issue with opening a
particular Excel file. I can open every other Excel file except the
one in question.
I should also mention that when I right click on the Excel file in
question and choose "Properties", I only get the "General" tab. All of
my other Excel files show "General", "Custom", and "Summary" tabs when
I right click on them and choose "Properties". I am running Windows Me
with Excel '97 (I have not had any need to upgrade as this combination
has served me well).
Thanks for any insight into this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup
**Gail**

This will sound simple, but it should work.

Clear out your Temp internet files and your Temp directories (Esp the temp
directory in Document and settings/your user name).

oups.com...
: