Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Installation of Several Versions of Excel

What is the correct way to install Several Versions of Excel on my PC.
I have XP Pro installed on my C Drive and all my programs on a second H Drive.

Currently I have Excel 2002, 2003 and a 60 day Trial version of Excel 2007
installed on my PC.

I want to be able to open each version in it's own version, but they all
seem to default to Excel 2007.

If I browse and use "Open with" and select the correct version from the
office 10 or 11 folder.....it still opens in excel 2007.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dermot,

During the install process, when it asks for the folder in which to install Excel (somewhere
in C:\Program Files), be sure to change it to someething different from any where you have
Excel installed. Otherwise it just over-writes the previous. Make up names like Excel
2002, Excel 2003, etc.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...
"Dermot" wrote in message
What is the correct way to install Several Versions of Excel on my PC.
I have XP Pro installed on my C Drive and all my programs on a second H Drive.

Currently I have Excel 2002, 2003 and a 60 day Trial version of Excel 2007
installed on my PC.

I want to be able to open each version in it's own version, but they all
seem to default to Excel 2007.

If I browse and use "Open with" and select the correct version from the
office 10 or 11 folder.....it still opens in excel 2007.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I want to be able to open each version in it's own version, but they all
seem to default to Excel 2007.

If you mean open excel file created in its own version, it is not possible.

However with multiple version of Excel installed, the last version installed
or registered will be the default program.

In case you don't want to open Excel-2007, you may unregistered Excel-2003 &
reregister again. Have a google search for technique with "regserver"

Regards,
Shailesh Shah
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
If You Can't Excel with Talent, Triumph with Effort.

http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/menuaddins
(Free addins old\classic Office Menu-2003 for Office-2007)

"Dermot" wrote in message
What is the correct way to install Several Versions of Excel on my PC.
I have XP Pro installed on my C Drive and all my programs on a second H
Drive.

Currently I have Excel 2002, 2003 and a 60 day Trial version of Excel 2007
installed on my PC.

I want to be able to open each version in it's own version, but they all
seem to default to Excel 2007.

If I browse and use "Open with" and select the correct version from the
office 10 or 11 folder.....it still opens in excel 2007.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dermot,

In that case, you need only put a shortcut on the desktop, or in the Start Menu, for the
version you want to be able to run. Poke through C:\Program Files\... for each excel.exe
you've installed.
--

"Dermot" wrote in message
What is the correct way to install Several Versions of Excel on my PC.
I have XP Pro installed on my C Drive and all my programs on a second H Drive.

Currently I have Excel 2002, 2003 and a 60 day Trial version of Excel 2007
installed on my PC.

I want to be able to open each version in it's own version, but they all
seem to default to Excel 2007.

If I browse and use "Open with" and select the correct version from the
office 10 or 11 folder.....it still opens in excel 2007.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Earl
Use of KISS theory, how obvious was that and it went right over my head!!!

I feel a bit of DUH!

I hadn't done anything else since my last posting, thought I'd leave it for
a clear head......but here you have resolved it for me.

It had originally worked as I wanted, but then thinking back.... I tidied up
my desktop and deleted a few shortcuts...and misc unused odds and
ends....possibly also the Excel one I had previously been using when it
worked......good of you to post again.

I have promptly place my shortcut and have a result.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers

Dermot:)