Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Arange sorted data in multiple columns

I have data sorted in one column. 555 entries which I then arrange in
10 columns with 55 entries in each column by cutting, pasting on a new
worksheet, back to the first sheet, delete empty cells and repeat
until I have the 555 entries on a single page for printing.

I repeat this process for the next set of 555 but I would like the
second sort to be included with the first set. In other words when I
accumulate a new page of 555 I want to do a new sort and a new print
of the data (now on two pages).

It is the cut and paste that I want to eliminate.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unknown, some questions.
1. 10 columns of 55 entries is 550 entries, not 555
2. Do you always put the 555 entries on the same sheet?
3. Do you mean when you cut and paste to the 10 columns, it's always pasted
to the same sheet, do it again and paste again to the same sheet?
James

"Unknown" wrote in message

I have data sorted in one column. 555 entries which I then arrange in
10 columns with 55 entries in each column by cutting, pasting on a new
worksheet, back to the first sheet, delete empty cells and repeat
until I have the 555 entries on a single page for printing.

I repeat this process for the next set of 555 but I would like the
second sort to be included with the first set. In other words when I
accumulate a new page of 555 I want to do a new sort and a new print
of the data (now on two pages).

It is the cut and paste that I want to eliminate.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To save paper?

I like to copy the data into MSWord and use MSWord's builtin ability to do
column layout. With lots of data, I sometimes have to paste into Notepad
first--large tables cause me trouble in MSWord.

If that doesn't work for you, David McRitchie has a macro that will "snake" the
columns.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

try recording a macro of your sort and paste

alternately\

assumng your data starts in A1
use in B1
=index($A:#A,row()+(column()-2)*55
copy and paste to B1:K55
copy B1:K55 and paste special values
delete column A

"Unknown" wrote:

I have data sorted in one column. 555 entries which I then arrange in
10 columns with 55 entries in each column by cutting, pasting on a new
worksheet, back to the first sheet, delete empty cells and repeat
until I have the 555 entries on a single page for printing.

I repeat this process for the next set of 555 but I would like the
second sort to be included with the first set. In other words when I
accumulate a new page of 555 I want to do a new sort and a new print
of the data (now on two pages).

It is the cut and paste that I want to eliminate.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 06:48:49 -0500, Dave Peterson
wrote:

,;To save paper?
,;
,;I like to copy the data into MSWord and use MSWord's builtin ability to do
,;column layout. With lots of data, I sometimes have to paste into Notepad
,;first--large tables cause me trouble in MSWord.

Ms Word did it nicely. Setup 11 columns in "Format". Then copied and
pasted from the single column in Excel. If Word gets indigestion with
too much data in one excel column I can just bite off what Word can
handle.

Many thanks.

<stuff snipped

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:47:06 -0400, "Zone"
wrote:

,;Unknown, some questions.
,;1. 10 columns of 55 entries is 550 entries, not 555
,;2. Do you always put the 555 entries on the same sheet?
,;3. Do you mean when you cut and paste to the 10 columns, it's always pasted
,;to the same sheet, do it again and paste again to the same sheet?

I put all of the entries in column "A" and then sort. It turns out
that not only was my math atrocious but I couldn't count columns
either. Sheet 1 consists of one column with all of the data. As I
accumulate more data column "A" gets longer and then resorted.

When I go to multiple columns 55 entries in one column makes a good
fit on a page and I end up with 11 columns with 55 entries in each
column.(605 per page. This time I used the calculator. ;-)

I have done the cutting and pasting on sheet 1 and after I get my 605
entries arranged in eleven columns on that sheet I just copy them over
to Sheet 2 and print.

Dave's suggestion to use MS Word did the job. One sorted column in
Excel copy and paste into a MS Word document formatted with the
appropriate number of columns.

,;James
,;
,;"Unknown" wrote in message
,;
,; I have data sorted in one column. 555 entries which I then arrange in
,; 10 columns with 55 entries in each column by cutting, pasting on a new
,; worksheet, back to the first sheet, delete empty cells and repeat
,; until I have the 555 entries on a single page for printing.
,;
,; I repeat this process for the next set of 555 but I would like the
,; second sort to be included with the first set. In other words when I
,; accumulate a new page of 555 I want to do a new sort and a new print
,; of the data (now on two pages).
,;
,; It is the cut and paste that I want to eliminate.
,;

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Depending on what you're doing with the data, you may decide to keep the data in
MSWord--and not use excel for this.

It can sort the data.
You can insert and delete cells easily.
Doing arithmetic gets more difficult, though.

Unknown wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 06:48:49 -0500, Dave Peterson
wrote:

,;To save paper?
,;