Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default setting special character shortcut keys?

Is it possible to set a shortcut key to display special characters?

In word you can assign say ctrla to give you á (done from the insert symbol
option) is this possible in Excel?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe I found teh answer:

have to go to the character map to get the code then use 'alt 0225' for
example.

If there is an easier way like in word, please let me know

Thanks

"Brian" wrote:

Is it possible to set a shortcut key to display special characters?

In word you can assign say ctrla to give you á (done from the insert symbol
option) is this possible in Excel?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alt + 225 on the NumPad

See the InsertSymbolCharacter CodeAscii Decimal for the code numbers.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:04:06 -0700, Brian
wrote:

Is it possible to set a shortcut key to display special characters?

In word you can assign say ctrla to give you á (done from the insert symbol
option) is this possible in Excel?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

scratch that...

that answer works if you have a separate number pad - what do I do on a
laptop with no number pad (just the single row of numbers)?

thanks

"Brian" wrote:

Is it possible to set a shortcut key to display special characters?

In word you can assign say ctrla to give you á (done from the insert symbol
option) is this possible in Excel?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Usually pressing the Fn key will put you in NumPad mode.

Gord

"Brian" wrote:

Is it possible to set a shortcut key to display special characters?

In word you can assign say ctrla to give you á (done from the insert symbol
option) is this possible in Excel?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you could cheat:

=char(225)
or
="this is text " & char(225) & " and more text"

--

Dave Peterson