Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adding times

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt add up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my
hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then
when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go
over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt add
up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Try putting the "h" in square-brackets...

=TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm:)

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried that, but to no avail. I cant seem to figure it out. I usually just
hop on microsoft's site and look up the formula but i have exactly what they
are asking for and it still wont calculate it correctly.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my
hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then
when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go
over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt add
up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Try putting the "h" in square-brackets...

=TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm:)

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If Rick's formula didn't work, maybe you could share the values that are in G6
and F6.

And what you saw with Rick's formula and what you expected/wanted to see.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick had a semi-colon where he intended a quote mark after the mm in his
formula. The syntax should be as you originally had it, but just adding the
square brackets for [h].
Try =TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm")

If you are trying to total the numbers, you don't want text, so use =G6-F6
and format as [h]:mm. You can then total those times (and multiply by 24 if
you want to convert to decimal hours, remembering to formal as General or
Number, not as Time).
--
David Biddulph

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet
that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my
hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then
when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go
over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt
add
up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Try putting the "h" in square-brackets...

=TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm:)

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Damien,

You can try changing the format of the cell and select

Category: - Custom
Type: - [h]:mm:ss

This should help!!
Regards,
Sameer Nagi

"Damien" wrote:

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt add up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Help Please on adding times Champ Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 April 19th 07 06:10 PM
Adding times Jaime Excel Worksheet Functions 1 August 11th 06 05:27 PM
Adding times Bobby New Users to Excel 3 August 6th 06 11:09 PM
Adding times Jim Excel Worksheet Functions 2 July 13th 05 03:22 AM
Adding times together [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 16th 05 10:19 PM