-   -   adding times (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/154793-adding-times.html)

Damien

adding times

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt add up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)

adding times

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my
hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then
when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go
over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt add
up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Try putting the "h" in square-brackets...

=TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm:)

Rick

Damien

adding times

I tried that, but to no avail. I cant seem to figure it out. I usually just
hop on microsoft's site and look up the formula but i have exactly what they
are asking for and it still wont calculate it correctly.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my
hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then
when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go
over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt add
up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Try putting the "h" in square-brackets...

=TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm:)

Rick

Dave Peterson

adding times

If Rick's formula didn't work, maybe you could share the values that are in G6
and F6.

And what you saw with Rick's formula and what you expected/wanted to see.

--

Dave Peterson

David Biddulph[_2_]

adding times

Rick had a semi-colon where he intended a quote mark after the mm in his
formula. The syntax should be as you originally had it, but just adding the
square brackets for [h].
Try =TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm")

If you are trying to total the numbers, you don't want text, so use =G6-F6
and format as [h]:mm. You can then total those times (and multiply by 24 if
you want to convert to decimal hours, remembering to formal as General or
Number, not as Time).
--
David Biddulph

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

For my job i have to track my own hours. I am trying to make a sheet
that
will add up my own hours for me. I have four columns that I type in my
hours
and then I total it for the day using "=TEXT(G6-F6, "H:MM")". But then
when I
try to total it for the week it comes up with a screwy number once I go
over
a 24 hour period. I tried typing "=SUM(I6:I12)*24" but it still doesnt
add
up
correctly. What am i doing wrong?

Try putting the "h" in square-brackets...

=TEXT(G6-F6, "[h]:mm:)

Rick

Sameer Nagi[_2_]

adding times

Hi Damien,

You can try changing the format of the cell and select

Category: - Custom
Type: - [h]:mm:ss

This should help!!
Regards,