Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF-ISTEXT formula

I downloaded a template from Office.com that runs a formula across a ROW.
I've tried repeatedly to copy the formula (even retyped it) to run down a
COLUMN, with no luck.......help would be greatly appreciated. I've confirmed
that the values within the referenced cells are text.

{=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D34:AZ34),1,0))}

Every time I try to edit the formula, the outside brackets disappear. If I
try to manually type them in, the formula presents as text, instead of a
formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

this is an array formula enter it withsimultanious control-shift-enter
rather than just enter

"Cardian" wrote:

I downloaded a template from Office.com that runs a formula across a ROW.
I've tried repeatedly to copy the formula (even retyped it) to run down a
COLUMN, with no luck.......help would be greatly appreciated. I've confirmed
that the values within the referenced cells are text.

{=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D34:AZ34),1,0))}

Every time I try to edit the formula, the outside brackets disappear. If I
try to manually type them in, the formula presents as text, instead of a
formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:40:02 -0700, Cardian
wrote:

I downloaded a template from Office.com that runs a formula across a ROW.
I've tried repeatedly to copy the formula (even retyped it) to run down a
COLUMN, with no luck.......help would be greatly appreciated. I've confirmed
that the values within the referenced cells are text.

{=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D34:AZ34),1,0))}

Every time I try to edit the formula, the outside brackets disappear. If I
try to manually type them in, the formula presents as text, instead of a
formula.

This is an **array** formula.

From HELP:

EDIT AN ARRAY FORMULA
Click the cell that contains the array formula.
Click in the formula bar . When the formula bar is active, the braces
({ } ) do not appear in the array formula.
Edit the array formula.
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Type the formula as below

=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D34:AZ34),1,0))

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter which will place the {} brackets round the
formula. This is an *array formula* and Excel adds the {} brackets for this
type of formula.

You need to enter in the same way if you amend the formula.

HTH

"Cardian" wrote:

I downloaded a template from Office.com that runs a formula across a ROW.
I've tried repeatedly to copy the formula (even retyped it) to run down a
COLUMN, with no luck.......help would be greatly appreciated. I've confirmed
that the values within the referenced cells are text.

{=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D34:AZ34),1,0))}

Every time I try to edit the formula, the outside brackets disappear. If I
try to manually type them in, the formula presents as text, instead of a
formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Cardian" wrote...
{=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D34:AZ34),1,0))}

This is an array formula. Excel itself adds the braces when you enter it by
holding down [Ctrl] and [Shift] keys before pressing the [Enter] key.

That said, don't bother with this formula. Use

=COUNTIF(D34:AZ34,"*")

instead.