Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ISTEXT TRUE then copy formula from cell X

Im trying to do a conditional:
F1 is a formula that works.

This is the end result Im looking for.

If cell (g2) has any text or is not blank Then I want that cell (F2) to
equal the formula from cell (F1) (modified appropriately for this new cell)
Then the same applies for F3, copy formula from F2.

Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want help from the group, it isn't much good saying "it didn't work"
or "It errors". You'll need to tell us what error you're getting, as our
clairvoyant powers are limited.

If you're telling us that
=IF(ISBLANK(G2),"",F1) didn't work, and yet you're telling us in another
post that
=IF(ISBLANK(G2),"",(F1)) did work, then I would be most suspicious.

My guess is that instead of copying the formula from the post into your
formula bar, you tried to retype it and made a typing error.

I wouldn't expect
=NOT(isblank(g2),"",F1)
to work, as the syntax is invalid.
--
David Biddulph

"E Cobb" wrote in message
I'm trying to do a conditional:
F1 is a formula that works.

This is the end result I'm looking for.

If cell (g2) has any text or is not blank Then I want that cell (F2) to
equal the formula from cell (F1) (modified appropriately for this new
cell)
Then the same applies for F3, copy formula from F2.

Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks David. This helps. I am assuming that I can not do 'exactly' what I
want which is to duplicate the copy/paste special so the formula smartly adds
a row each time it is copied.

It sounds like I will have to manually enter each cell formula with new
whatever_formula values.

Either way, I should be able to work with this. Thanks for all your help!

"E Cobb" wrote in message
I'm trying to do a conditional:
F1 is a formula that works.

This is the end result I'm looking for.

If cell (g2) has any text or is not blank Then I want that cell (F2) to
equal the formula from cell (F1) (modified appropriately for this new
cell)
Then the same applies for F3, copy formula from F2.

Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are trying to copy the formula from F1, but add one to the row
numbers, the easiest way is probably just to copy F1 into F2, and then add
the extra bits around the formula
=IF(ISBLANK(G2),"",...)
--
David Biddulph