Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Highlight upon change

Can u write a code to highlight a cell with any color if its value is
changed. Actually I am working at a Head Office and am collecting data from
branches on a sheet that I am distributing however I have to keep a check if
the original values have not been changed.

Please consider the example:

Action 1:
Cell A1 has a value "5" if someone turns it to "6" the cell turns to Red.
Action 2:
Upon a realizing that he has made a mistake if he turns it back to "5" the
cell is no longer highlighted.

If it even doesn't work the second time, that is reverting back to
non-highlighted, even a code for only the first action would also be higly
obliged.

Thanx!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My thoughts on this is to create a copy of the worksheet and then protect and
hide it. When it is returned a macro could be used to compare the data on the
returned worksheet with the data on the copy and color any non matching cells.

Would this meet your requirements?
Would you like me to write a macro for you? If so then what version of xl
are you using?
What is the range of the data to be checked? That is from cell A1 to ????.
There are ways of finding the last cell but if it is always within a fixed
range then that makes life easy.
Do you need instructions to copy the macro to the workbook and run it?
Could also create a worksheet with a list of the changed cells with the old
and new values.

Regards,

OssieMac

"FARAZ QURESHI" wrote:

Can u write a code to highlight a cell with any color if its value is
changed. Actually I am working at a Head Office and am collecting data from
branches on a sheet that I am distributing however I have to keep a check if
the original values have not been changed.

Please consider the example:

Action 1:
Cell A1 has a value "5" if someone turns it to "6" the cell turns to Red.
Action 2:
Upon a realizing that he has made a mistake if he turns it back to "5" the
cell is no longer highlighted.

If it even doesn't work the second time, that is reverting back to
non-highlighted, even a code for only the first action would also be higly
obliged.

Thanx!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanx Mac

I could have used the conditional formatting in this regard on the hidden
sheet. The macro required earlier was for the sake of my developing interest
and information.

Creating an extra sheet would upsize the file, which is already heavy,
making it difficult to be uploaded and emailed.

I only want the branch managers themselves to realize that they can't
manipulate the originally provided data.

Please c if u can help me with a code for the same sheet.

Thanx again

"FARAZ QURESHI" wrote:

Can u write a code to highlight a cell with any color if its value is
changed. Actually I am working at a Head Office and am collecting data from
branches on a sheet that I am distributing however I have to keep a check if
the original values have not been changed.

Please consider the example:

Action 1:
Cell A1 has a value "5" if someone turns it to "6" the cell turns to Red.
Action 2:
Upon a realizing that he has made a mistake if he turns it back to "5" the
cell is no longer highlighted.

If it even doesn't work the second time, that is reverting back to
non-highlighted, even a code for only the first action would also be higly
obliged.

Thanx!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What about copying the worksheet to another workbook. That way the macro
could reside in the workbook with the copy and it would not change the size
of the workbook to be distributed and because you would be the only one who
has the copy then it does not need to be protected or hidden.

Regards,

OssieMac

"FARAZ QURESHI" wrote:

Can u write a code to highlight a cell with any color if its value is
changed. Actually I am working at a Head Office and am collecting data from
branches on a sheet that I am distributing however I have to keep a check if
the original values have not been changed.

Please consider the example:

Action 1:
Cell A1 has a value "5" if someone turns it to "6" the cell turns to Red.
Action 2:
Upon a realizing that he has made a mistake if he turns it back to "5" the
cell is no longer highlighted.

If it even doesn't work the second time, that is reverting back to
non-highlighted, even a code for only the first action would also be higly
obliged.

Thanx!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

For more information, please look at this demo on Conditional Formating:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CL100570551033

Challa Prabhu