Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protect cell formats, not contents

Is there a way to protect only the formatting of a cell, while allowing a
user to change the content?

I've created a spreadsheet for users with 3 columns formatted to Text to
accept long account numbers, but the users are somehow changing the formats
back to Number and scientific notation is being applied to the account
numbers.

I'm getting tired of fixing individual spreadsheets, so I'd like to lock
down the formatting. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If 2002 or newer, you can, when setting protection, uncheck "Format Cells"

I would also uncheck "select locked cells"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP