Paul

Default Sorting and having cell formats stick with contents

I want to be able to sort AND have the cell format stick with the data being
moved. The formats are color, and border.

Can it be done and how?
Marcus Langell

A solution would be to create a "format code" column and make the formatting
conditional on the contents of that column. Then if that column is sorted
with the rest of the table, the formatting will follow. (Unfortunately, you
can only have three format sets when using conditional formatting.)

/Marcus

"Paul" wrote:

I want to be able to sort AND have the cell format stick with the data being
moved. The formats are color, and border.

Can it be done and how?

Bryan Hessey

When I sort in Excel '97, 2000 or 2003 the cell colour stays with the
item (ie, travels to the new location)

The Border is more difficult as the border on a border'd cell also
applies to four adjacent cells.

As you only need to specify the Border perhaps Marcus' idea of
Conditional format could be the go, but I thought the 'condition' had
to relate to the current cell rather than a helper cell (the helper
condition would be most useful here)

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392782