Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formating Cells as Negative

Hi,
Would you guys please help me out?
I would like to cells's C01:C20 do negatives numbers.
So that means that whenever I entered a number in those cells, my numbers
are going to be -
How can I do it?

Regards.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try this:

Select C1:C20
Format Cells
Number
Custom--
-#,###,###.00

This should do it.

I would like to cells's C01:C20 do negatives numbers.
So that means that whenever I entered a number in those cells, my numbers are going to be -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It worked!

Thanks

" wrote:

You can try this:

Select C1:C20
Format Cells
Number
Custom--
-#,###,###.00

This should do it.

I would like to cells's C01:C20 do negatives numbers.
So that means that whenever I entered a number in those cells, my numbers are going to be -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Willing,

Glad to be able to help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One note of warning, formatting will make a number LOOK like a negative
number but the value held in the cell will still be positive.

Try entering 123, (it will show as -123 of course), in C1 then -1 in a cell
that has not been formatted - say D1. Now enter in D2 enter =C1*D1 you
will get -123 whereas if C1 had really been negative you would have had 123
returned.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Willing to learn" wrote in
message ...
It worked!

Thanks

" wrote:

You can try this:

Select C1:C20
Format Cells
Number
Custom--
-#,###,###.00

This should do it.

I would like to cells's C01:C20 do negatives numbers.
So that means that whenever I entered a number in those cells, my
numbers are going to be -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

so how should I fix it?

Advice please

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

One note of warning, formatting will make a number LOOK like a negative
number but the value held in the cell will still be positive.

Try entering 123, (it will show as -123 of course), in C1 then -1 in a cell
that has not been formatted - say D1. Now enter in D2 enter =C1*D1 you
will get -123 whereas if C1 had really been negative you would have had 123
returned.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Willing to learn" wrote in
message ...
It worked!

Thanks

" wrote:

You can try this:

Select C1:C20
Format Cells
Number
Custom--
-#,###,###.00

This should do it.

I would like to cells's C01:C20 do negatives numbers.
So that means that whenever I entered a number in those cells, my
numbers are going to be -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It depends on what it is that you want to do.

So that means that whenever I entered a number in those cells, my
numbers are going to be -

If by that you mean that you are manually entering the data then surely it
is just as simple to add the - as you type.

If you mean when you paste data into the range then you could add an event
Macro to change the sign:

Right-click on the sheet tab and select View code and then paste the
following code into the sheet module:

If Target.Column < 3 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Row 20 Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Value = Target.Value * -1
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This will change all positive values typed of pasted into C1:C20 into
positive values and all Negative values into positive ones
--

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

One note of warning, formatting will make a number LOOK like a negative
number but the value held in the cell will still be positive.

Try entering 123, (it will show as -123 of course), in C1 then -1 in a
cell
that has not been formatted - say D1. Now enter in D2 enter =C1*D1 you
will get -123 whereas if C1 had really been negative you would have had
123
returned.

--
HTH