Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Freeze Pane Saving

In article , "Hank" wrote:
In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from haveing to
freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

If you mean should the view where you have one or more 'fixed' rows and/or
columns save with the sheet, my experience is yes. If you mean something
else, then please say :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Certainly should be saved with the workbook, but if you
don't make a change to the workbook then it would not be
saved. Suggest you use File, Save to make sure it is saved.

Freeze Panes for view and Repeat row/col headings for printing
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Hank" wrote in message ...
In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from haveing to
freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

Thanks
Hank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

WindowFreeze Panes should save with the workbook.

Note: without VBA you can't "Freeze Panes" on every sheet at once.

Must be done individually as it is a Window-only setting.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:55:03 -0500, "Hank" wrote:

In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from haveing to
freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

Thanks
Hank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bruce, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I do mean saving the view and the freeze pane.

This workbook has auto filter on each column. This seems to have something
to do with it. Other workbooks do save the freeze pane view.

Is there a way to have auto filter and save the freeze pane view?

Thanks again
Hank

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
in message ...
In article , "Hank"
wrote:
In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from haveing
freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

If you mean should the view where you have one or more 'fixed' rows and/or
columns save with the sheet, my experience is yes. If you mean something
else, then please say :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hank, the Spreadsheet Assistant, http://www.add-ins.com/assistnt.htm, has a
feature in it that will set the freeze pane and zoom on all selected sheets.
The only restriction is that the to top left cell and the freeze pane cell
must be visible so that freeze panes can be set.

Bob Flanagan
Macro Systems
144 Dewberry Drive
Hockessin, Delaware, U.S. 19707

Phone: 302-234-9857, cell 302-584-1771
http://www.add-ins.com

"Hank" wrote in message
In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from haveing
to freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

Thanks
Hank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

Yes, I am saving as xls. All other changes to the workbook saved - except
the freeze pane.

As I asked earlier, could the fact that the row I am trying to freeze also
has auto filter have anything to do with it?
I have found out if I remove auto filter the freeze pane does save.

I really need the auto filter kept. Is there a work around?

Thanks
Hank

Hank wrote:

In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to
print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from haveing
freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

Thanks
Hank

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure that the freeze panes is being lost?

Next time, check to see if you see windows|Freeze panes or windows|Unfreeze
panes.

If you see unfreeze, then maybe the user didn't put the freeze in the correct
location.

If the data is filtered, then the freeze panes is applied, the user could have
put the freeze panes in the wrong location.

I put 1 to 20 in A1:A20.

Then I filtered to show the values 5. I selected A6 and hit window|freeze
panes.

Instead of making row 1 always visible, I made rows 1:5 always visible (I had to
show all the data to see that freeze panes line).

If the user does this where the first 200 rows are hidden, it can cause a
problem when data|filter|show all is used.

======
If that's not the cause, set your freeze panes.
Save the workbook.
Close excel

Start excel in safe mode
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

file|open yourfilename.xls

And see if things work ok. If they do this way, then you could have a "helpful"
macro that's removing that freeze panes.

Hank wrote:

In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to
print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from haveing
freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

Thanks
Hank

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

After many hours, I think I have found the problem. But, I do not
understand it??

When I save a "workspace" for the workbook on my desk top the freeze pane
information is lost when I open the file.

If I open excel, then open the file, the freeze pane information is there.
I can copy a shortcut to my desk top and open the file with freeze pane in
place.

Any idea why the workspace removes the freeze panes?

Hank wrote:

In Excel 2003 I would like to Freeze the header row on each worksheet
and
have this "Freeze Pane" save when the workbook is closed.

Should the Freeze pane save? If not, is there a way to do this so the
header rows are always visible. I can indicate which rows I want to
print
at the top of each page with page setup. I'm trying to keep from
haveing
freeze pane each time I open the workbook.

Thanks
Hank

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've never used workspace, but I do remember seeing posts that somethings get
lost when they're used.

You may want to try searching google for freeze panes and workspace.

It looks like freeze panes and grid lines are a problem when you use workspaces
(and some others, too).