Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default hide a page and prevent outside users from viewing it.

I have a doc. that has a page of important info that only I want to
hace access to. I can protect it and then hide it. At first I
thought that once it was protected no one could view it unless I
unprotected it. It appears that i was wrong as you can still go to
the menu and select unhide and then open it.

How do I absolutely protect this sheet from viewing unless I enter a
password.

Thaks you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using VBA
Click on the sheet in question in the Project window

Under properties set the Visible property to xlSheetVeryHidden

This is not an absolute secure method as a user can still gain access by
setting formula reference to the sheet and retrieving data. but it will stop
the casual nosy user.

HTH

" wrote:

I have a doc. that has a page of important info that only I want to
hace access to. I can protect it and then hide it. At first I
thought that once it was protected no one could view it unless I
unprotected it. It appears that i was wrong as you can still go to
the menu and select unhide and then open it.

How do I absolutely protect this sheet from viewing unless I enter a
password.

Thaks you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't. You must assume that anything in your workbook is available
to anyone who has access to it.

You could use this command in the Visual Basic Editor's Immediate Window:

Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = xlVeryHidden

to make the sheet invisible in the menu, but this is rather trivial to
bypass.

There is no internal protection in XL that provides any security against
someone with the skill to find these newsgroups. See

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

and

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

for details.

In article om,
wrote:

How do I absolutely protect this sheet from viewing unless I enter a
password.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Even a casual nosy user might know enough to press alt-F11, see the
sheet in the Project Browser, and set the sheet's Visible property to
xlVisible.

So rather than being "not an absolute secure method", I'd classify it as
an "almost certainly insecure method".

In article ,
steve_doc wrote:

This is not an absolute secure method as a user can still gain access by
setting formula reference to the sheet and retrieving data. but it will stop
the casual nosy user.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You must protect the workbook under ToolsProtection after hiding the sheet.

But as others have pointed out........Excel is not very secure.

My advice is always..........if you don't want them to see it, don't include it
in the workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP