Michael Link

Default Protecting Sheet to Prevent Viewing At All

Is it possible to protect a sheet in a workbook so that it isn't even
viewable unless you have the password? One of the sheets in my workbook
contaiins highly sensitive information that I don't want most folks to see,
but I want users to be continue to hide and unhide other elements in the
workbook to fit their needs.

Is there something I can write in VBA that will do the trick? In the perfect
world, what would happen is that, when a user clicked on the tab for the
Sensitive Sheet, a popup box would appear asking for a password. Is this even
possible?

Help! Any answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

VoG

The following code will make the sheet 'invisible' to ordinary users:

Sub hideit()
Sheets("Sheet2").Visible = xlVeryHidden
End Sub

To unhide it use

Sub unhideit()
Sheets("Sheet2").Visible = True

Hayeso

Right Click the Sheet tab and select "View Code" then add
the following code. You can change the password to whatever you like.

Private Const Password As String = "DoubleOhSeven"

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
Me.Visible = False
If InputBox("Please Enter the Password for the " & Me.Name & " Sheet",
"Enter Password") < Password Then
Me.Visible = False
Else
Me.Visible = True

"Michael Link" wrote:

Is it possible to protect a sheet in a workbook so that it isn't even
viewable unless you have the password? One of the sheets in my workbook
contaiins highly sensitive information that I don't want most folks to see,
but I want users to be continue to hide and unhide other elements in the
workbook to fit their needs.

Is there something I can write in VBA that will do the trick? In the perfect
world, what would happen is that, when a user clicked on the tab for the
Sensitive Sheet, a popup box would appear asking for a password. Is this even
possible?

Help! Any answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Michael Link

Hi--

Actually, I just had a few minutes to try to implement this. Unfortunately,
I'm gettiing a "Syntax Error" message, indicating that there's an
end-of-statement issue. Might you have any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks!

"Michael Link" wrote:

Is it possible to protect a sheet in a workbook so that it isn't even
viewable unless you have the password? One of the sheets in my workbook
contaiins highly sensitive information that I don't want most folks to see,
but I want users to be continue to hide and unhide other elements in the
workbook to fit their needs.

Is there something I can write in VBA that will do the trick? In the perfect
world, what would happen is that, when a user clicked on the tab for the
Sensitive Sheet, a popup box would appear asking for a password. Is this even
possible?

Help! Any answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Norman Jones

Hi Michael,

one line of Hayeso's code has wrapped making it appear as two lines. To
obviate the problem, replace:

If InputBox("Please Enter the Password for the " & Me.Name & " Sheet",
"Enter Password") < Password Then

with:

If InputBox("Please Enter the Password for the " _
& Me.Name & " Sheet", "Enter Password") _
< Password Then

---
Regards,
Norman

"Michael Link" wrote:

Is it possible to protect a sheet in a workbook so that it isn't even
viewable unless you have the password? One of the sheets in my workbook
contaiins highly sensitive information that I don't want most folks to
see,
but I want users to be continue to hide and unhide other elements in
the
workbook to fit their needs.

Is there something I can write in VBA that will do the trick? In the
perfect
world, what would happen is that, when a user clicked on the tab for
the
Sensitive Sheet, a popup box would appear asking for a password. Is
this even
possible?

Help! Any answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

coddave

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the help! I also required some information to be restricted. Out
of curiosity after unhiding the cell, how do you go in at a later time to
change the password? When I click on the sheet it continues to bring the
password screen up over and over. Is there a way to select on the tab and
click view code again?

Sincerely,

Dave

"Michael Link" wrote:

Is it possible to protect a sheet in a workbook so that it isn't even
viewable unless you have the password? One of the sheets in my workbook
contaiins highly sensitive information that I don't want most folks to
see,
but I want users to be continue to hide and unhide other elements in
the
workbook to fit their needs.

Is there something I can write in VBA that will do the trick? In the
perfect
world, what would happen is that, when a user clicked on the tab for
the
Sensitive Sheet, a popup box would appear asking for a password. Is
this even
possible?

Help! Any answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Dave Peterson

Worksheet and workbook protection (via tools|Protection) is very weak and isn't
meant for security.

I wouldn't share any highly sensitive data in excel.

(If the user disables macros/events, then no macro solution will help.)

And if a user can find this newsgroup or google, they can find ways to unprotect
your workbook/worksheet.

Be very careful with what you share in excel.

--

Dave Peterson