Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot table data filter

I have a pivot table with matching chart. I used the layout function to get
it how i want but in the data section there is 2 types of data. They apear
fine and i can read them and see them in the chart ok, but if i want to
select just one to see it on its own i can , but the one i didn't select the
option is missing from the list. Taking the data out. Both sets of data are
set as Sum, but on other pivot tables i have done in the past this has worked
when i have been using count.

Any ideas

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Neil

If you de-select a field from the Data area, it is removed totally, and
you have to drag it back in again.

Try adding the field to the Row area, AND to the Data area.
Use the dropdown on the Row filed to select or deselect the items.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Neil" wrote in message
I have a pivot table with matching chart. I used the layout function to
get
it how i want but in the data section there is 2 types of data. They
apear
fine and i can read them and see them in the chart ok, but if i want
select just one to see it on its own i can , but the one i didn't
select the
option is missing from the list. Taking the data out. Both sets of
data are
set as Sum, but on other pivot tables i have done in the past this has
worked
when i have been using count.

Any ideas

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Roger thanks for the reply

It does work in that i can reselect them if i de select them but i have
four different fields that i want to maybe just look at 2 or 3 at a time to
compare them. If i put the field in the data and the Row i can only deselect
certain results of the field not all of it. With it being in the data bit on
the right of the chart i can compare all the results for all the fields in a
line chart this is against week numbers in the row. i just remove and replace
the different fields but they don't appear again! Sorry if this sounds a bit
muddled but thanks anyway.

"Neil" wrote in message
I have a pivot table with matching chart. I used the layout function to
get
it how i want but in the data section there is 2 types of data. They
apear
fine and i can read them and see them in the chart ok, but if i want
select just one to see it on its own i can , but the one i didn't
select the
option is missing from the list. Taking the data out. Both sets of
data are
set as Sum, but on other pivot tables i have done in the past this has
worked
when i have been using count.

Any ideas

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Neil

Regrettably, i am not fully understanding your problem.
If you want to mail a copy of the workbook directly to me, I will take a
look and see if I can achieve what you want.
To mail direct, remove NOSPAM from my address.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Neil" wrote in message
I have a pivot table with matching chart. I used the layout function
get
it how i want but in the data section there is 2 types of data.
They
apear
fine and i can read them and see them in the chart ok, but if i
want
select just one to see it on its own i can , but the one i didn't
select the
option is missing from the list. Taking the data out. Both sets of
data are
set as Sum, but on other pivot tables i have done in the past this
has
worked
when i have been using count.

Any ideas

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you de-select a field from the Data area, it is removed totally, and
you have to drag it back in again.

Is there no way around this? I tried dragging to the row field as you
recommend, but its numerical data so having it in the row area is
useless. This is the most ridiculous thing... why would this filter
operate differently than every other filter drop-down. I need for my
users (who know very little about excel and nothing about pivot
tables) to be able to select which of 3 data items will be displayed
without having to display the pivot table toolbar, display the pivot
table fields, and drag the fields back and forth.