Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I match numeric coding in a worksheet to words in a pdf fil

I have several columns of numeric data that are codes that correspond to
words on a coding sheet that is in a table on a pdf file. I would like to
know if Excel can do character recognition somehow so as to match the numeric
codes with their corresponding words, and delineate this somehow on the Excel
worksheet; preferably in the same column in which the numeric codes appear.
Although a column immediately adjascent to the numeric codes will also
suffice.

I think there is a way to convert a pdf file to Excel, if thats necessary
to do first.

Mick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy your code list to XL.
Say you enter the numeric data in Y1 to Y50.
Enter your corresponding text data in Z1 to Z50.

With your numeric codes being displayed in Column A, starting in A1,
enter this formula in B1:

=Vlookup(A1,Y$1:Z$50,2,0)

And copy down as far as you have data in Column A.
--
HTH,

RD

"Motown Mick" wrote in message
I have several columns of numeric data that are codes that correspond to
words on a coding sheet that is in a table on a pdf file. I would like to
know if Excel can do character recognition somehow so as to match the
numeric
codes with their corresponding words, and delineate this somehow on the
Excel
worksheet; preferably in the same column in which the numeric codes
appear.
Although a column immediately adjascent to the numeric codes will also
suffice.

I think there is a way to convert a pdf file to Excel, if that's necessary
to do first.

Mick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I match numeric coding in a worksheet to words in a pdf

Dear Ragdyer,

Thank you for your reply. I will have to get back to you to see if your
instructions work, because I first have to get the file converted, and I
don't have the software at the moment.

In the meantime, any assistance or advice you can offer concerning
converting pdf files to Excel would be appreciated. Don't sweat it though, I
know they can do this at Kinko's.

I'll be in touch.

Mick

"Ragdyer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Ragdyer:

Thanks! That worked. I was able to convert the pdf to Excel by first
copying it to a Notepad document, then copying it into Excel and playing with
the columns. I checked the stuff that appeared in the columns after I
dragged the formulae down, and it appears to match what is in the coding
sheet.

Thanks again for your help.

Mick

"Ragdyer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Ragdyer:

Thanks, that worked. I was able to convert the pdf to excel by first
copying into notepad, then into Excel and playing with the columns.

I dragged the formulae down, and it matched what was in the coding sheet.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mick