Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I assign a numeric value to words in Excel?

What I need to do is assign a numeric vale to various words and calculate the
total. (e.g.) Warm=1 point, Hot =2 points, Scalding =3 points
Cool =1 point, Cold =2 points, Freezing =3 points
So if I have "Hot" and "Freezing" in one row is it possible to get the score
total of 5?
Thanks for any help I can get,
Josh
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a look-up table and the VLOOKUP function but don't forget to use
the False option if you enter your data into the table in numerical
rather than alphabetical order.